[SOLVED] System won't boot after attempting to boot from a USB flash drive ?

cskeen68

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
I have a system running Windows 10. I created a bootable USB flash drive using RUFUS with the latest version of linux on it. I did a restart, and from the options I selected removable drive, but then I think it rebooted and now I get no output.

History.

I recently upgraded my system to a

- Ryzen 7 5700G
  • Asus A520M-A motherboard
  • 64G of memory, DDR-3600 (2 x 16GB x2, 4 16G sticks
  • I kept my old EVGA G FORCE 1060
  • Kept the EVGA 850W power supply
first time I booted after assembly I got no signal so I went down to the bare minimum and rebooted and got into the bios. I had to change the bios settings to Non UEFI and then I was able to boot from an old SSD. After cloning the SSD to a new M@ I was able to boot with from the M2 and everything was fine. After a couple of times rebooting and installing, I rebooted and then got no signal, and I wasnt able to get into the BIOS. I then took it to microcenter where I bought all the hardware.

They did a diagnostic on it, and said it was fine but it had no bootable devices, so I had then install windows 10 on the M2 drive and I picked it up. It was working without issues.

I verified within windows that the bios was set to UEFI, I then copied down RUFUS, created a bootable usb with linux desktop and restarted. I selected removable usb and then rebooted and now I get no output. I have tried to hold down one of ESC, F2, and Del, on power up but I do not go into bios, as far as I can tell, at least I get no screen output. The case turns on, the fans and the fan lights start but no screen output.

Any suggestions? I feel it must be something simple seeing as it was doing this before and they had no issue getting it working at microcenter. I wonder if they reset the bios or something so that it then could not see anything bootable on the M.2 or SSD.

Solution
In the end it was simple,

I did some more searching and found a vid on youtube about how windows fastboot sometimes prevented getting to the bios. So I reset the CMOS and got it into BIOS and was then able to boot off of either Windows or the usb drive. Got linux up and running and all is good

cskeen68

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
In the end it was simple,

I did some more searching and found a vid on youtube about how windows fastboot sometimes prevented getting to the bios. So I reset the CMOS and got it into BIOS and was then able to boot off of either Windows or the usb drive. Got linux up and running and all is good

Solution