System won't boot after changing RAM speed in Bios, how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvq_07

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
My system was having issues I GTA V for an unknown reason and my memory at the time only ran at 666.6mhz. As a result, I went into the BIOS on my MSI 970 g43a motherboard and changed the memory speed. My CPU throttles sometimes so I was wondering if the Memory Controller on my fx 6300 wasn't working properly. Even though the memory's rated speed was 1333mhz, I changed it to 1866mhz. In hindsight, not my best decision however at the time, I thought it would be a good idea. After that, my system stopped booting/posting and instead when turned on, it wouldn't post and only the LEDs in the case and fan, as well as the LEDs in my mouse, but not my keyboard. I am going to take it down to my local computer shop but is there anything I can do now to resolve the problem.

cvq_07

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Thanks, but would I void any warranties or if I did it wrong, would I kill my electrics again? It's my first computer that I built myself and I don't intend to mess it up if I make a mistake. Again, thanks for the help.

cvq_07

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
What would happen to the memory. Also, would my 960 still keep the overclock that I spent the better part of 30 seconds on in MSI afterburner. Thanks.

cvq_07

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I unplugged the computer completely, no wires coming out of the back at all, redid all of my cable management inside the computer, the took the cmos battery out then back in again the put the graphics card back in, yet whilst most of the LEDs and fans turn on, the system won't post, not even into the BIOS. Is there anything I missed?

Mar 26, 2020
Try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a minute).

Hi mate, I just registered here to say thank you so much!!!!

I just built a new PC today with an ASUS X570 motherboard but after updating the BIOS and setting the RAM speed to its 3600MHz I restarted the system. But there was no output at all, everything inside the case was working fine, fans going, RGB lighting were great. But my monitor wasn't recognising anything and my keyboard and mouse weren't lighting up.

It was a panicky hour or two but after numerous frantic Google searches I finally found your comment to this guy's problem - to take out the Mobo battery, wait a minute and put it back in - I figured I would try it... and it worked!!!!
RAM is still running at 2133MHz but it's the still the latest BIOS so it was definitely upping the RAM speed which caused the blackout.

So, 5 years after your post, thanks man!!!!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.