Question System won't boot after sleep

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
First of all, here are my system specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE AX with BIOS version F6a
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 16 GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB running on XMP (3200MHz, 16,18,18,38)
GPU: Reference AMD RX 6750 XT (Stock clocks, -10mV core, -6% PWR limit) on Driver version 23.4.2

Misc. software:
AMD Chipset software v 3.10.22.706
Power plan: Balanced (Stock)

I recently upgraded my motherboard and GPU, installed a fresh copy of Windows and all of my software.

The issue is that the system won't come back after being sent to sleep, it power everything on but nothing happens, it just stays on a black screen. The drive usage LED on the case stays on (see picture below).

I have to force shutdown the PC and reboot.

I tried fiddling with some power settings on the BIOS (ErP disabled and enabled) but nothing changes. Other than a couple custom fan curves, virtualization and eTPM, everything is stock - no OC on the CPU.

Event viewer does not help much, it just records a kernel-power critical error:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I'll gladly take some advice on what to do next, I don't know what could be the issue.

hNoCIVk.jpg

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Sounds like Capacitance lock. Not uncommon, the system gets itself into a hang state every once in a while, and wont turn back on until all the residual power is drained from the motherboard. If it happens again, pull the power cord out, press and hold the power button for a few seconds to force it drain the residual current in the motherboard, then replug and you're good to go.

It is hardware "bug" due to ATX power design, rather than failing components.
It's quite strange, as if the RAM state gets corrupted or idk.

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Don't see that bios at Gigabyte. Are you sure you have that one? Might be taken of and replaced with F6B which might be a solution to this problem.
Yes :) I checked and they just released that newer version and took down the "a" variant. Let me update it and I'll get back to you.

PJqSnAh.png

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I updated the BIOS, tried with the stock settings and I had the same problem.

Changed and tweaked my settings (XMP, virtualization, etc) and the issue still persists.
Mr. Google found this (among other things): On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type powercfg.cpl into the box and press Enter. Click the chosen power plan and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Double-click on Sleep, then set Allow hybrid sleep in Off and setAllow wake timers to Enable.

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Mr. Google found this (among other things): On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type powercfg.cpl into the box and press Enter. Click the chosen power plan and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Double-click on Sleep, then set Allow hybrid sleep in Off and setAllow wake timers to Enable.
I checked the settings, I don't have the hybrid sleep option there but I did disable HDD sleep timer @Vic 40 . Wake timers were enabled already.

XRlkm6F.png

I checked the settings, I don't have the hybrid sleep option there but I did disable HDD sleep timer @Vic 40 . Wake timers were enabled already.

XRlkm6F.png
This probably has something to do with power states in the BIOS settings. I would check what the default settings are in the BIOS regarding the states. They should be under power management. I personally stopped using Sleep Mode because of similar issues with my last PC. Sometimes settings like Fast Boot can cause issues with sleep mode as well.

Reactions: DarkEvonik

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
This probably has something to do with power states in the BIOS settings. I would check what the default settings are in the BIOS regarding the states. They should be under power management. I personally stopped using Sleep Mode because of similar issues with my last PC. Sometimes settings like Fast Boot can cause issues with sleep mode as well.

Interesting read on those power states. I'll go back to the BIOS and see if I can change anything related to those power states and report back if anything changes.

Reactions: helper800