Question System wont boot on a restart, cold boot works fine

Jul 27, 2019
This has been an issue for quite a while now and im trying to figure out what the root cause is.

Ive done the following:
Ran (as admin) CHKDSK /R C
SFC /SCANNOW
downloaded the ssd manager from my vendor, and verified its reporting the ssd as healthy. The firmware was outdated, updating this didnt change anything.
Verified my BIOS is at latest version.
killed all non native running proccesses prior to a reboot to see if that was the issue (negative).
Booted into safe mode then done a restart to see if it was a driver issue (another negative).
Its also worth noting I've done several clean installs since the issue started (windows 8.1). Not for the purpose of trying to fix this issue, just to get a fresh build.
Ive updated the O.S to windows 10 today and installed all the windows 10 compatible drivers for my motherboard, processor, graphics card. Everything is behaving exactly as Id expect apart from the black screen on reboot. Essentially it gets as far as everything closing and the fan idling but doesent complete the shutdown it seems.
Since the issue first started occuring Ive gone on to upgrade my graphics card, RAM and processor so im thinking its an issue with one of the 3:

Motherboard hardware/config
Bios,
CPU (Seems unlikely)

If anyone can suggest something else I should check I'd welcome the help.

Build summary at time of writing:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 47 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1200MHz (10-12-12-31)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0) 38 °C
Graphics
C32F391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI) 55 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 50 °C
111GB KINGSTON SH103S3120G (SSD) 35 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Jul 27, 2019
won't boot as in no power to the motherboard? cpu/gpu?

What the make and model of the psu?
Won't boot as in it won't start back up. From my perspective it never completes the shutdown as the power never cuts out however it goes through all the motions as expected up to a black screen. Normally the PSU/fan would cut out and restart but this never happens.
The PSU I have is:
"Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W."
The only reason I mentioned that is I know a PC will do apower good check prior to startup, however that never fails on a cold start and i can shut it down normally just fine.

TRENDING THREADS