System wont boot past BIOS after installing new CPU cooler

JibbaJabba

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I just installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and now my system wont boot past BIOS. Upon bootup a beep plays like normal, and the ASUS splash screen appears. I can go into BIOS fine, but cant get past it, just a black screen.

I've double checked that everything is connected properly,any ideas?

JibbaJabba

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I still cant figure out what happened, but it eventually booted to Win7 after about 2 minutes. It usually only takes 20-30 seconds, thats why I kept resetting it. I can't figure out whats causing it to take so long to boot. Everything looks fine in BIOS...all components are recognized, temps are good, boot order is good, no problems.

All I did was install the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. The only thing I changed when I plugged everything back in was to plug all my fans and lights into one PSU cable (with 4 4-pin outlets) so that I could tuck the other one out of the way for better air flow. I usually split them up between two cables. Would that make any difference? I'm just talking about 3 80mm fans with LED lights and pair of UV lights.

One other thing: When I first powered down to do the installation I had 89 Win7 updates to apply (just got a new mobo/CPU so I'm having to reinstall everything). I applied them AND let the system boot up before shutting it down again to do the install, but would that cause the long boot?

Thanks for the replies y'all.

Edit: This is weird. My system only boots every other time. I've had to reset 3 times since I installed the new cooler (updates and whatnot) and now I'm noticing that every other time I reset it goes to a black screen after the ASUS Splash Screen, then I reset again and it boots to Win7 fine. I have never seen anything like this.