Question System won't boot to Windows - BIOS good ?

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Recently I came down to my computer after overnight and the fans were all running at full speed. I went to reboot Windows 10 and some process was preventing reboot, and then BAM windows encountered a problem (BSOD) the BSOD was frozen and didn't properly dump.

After that I tried to reboot and the system wouldn't start, it would just freeze where the windows login used to be. After the BIOS.
Periodically I can get a system boot and the system will run for anywhere from 20 mins to a few hours before it crashes.
The kicker is: Even boot to USB was failing and it seems like my mother board isn't recognizing the bootable USB drive every boot.

I have no problem accessing the BIOS menu every boot.

I've then gone through:

• Disabled OC
  • Disabled SATA
  • Clear CMOS
  • Update BIOS
  • Boot TO USB
  • System REPAIR
  • System RESTORE
  • Remove/Swap RAM sticks
I noticed some errors on the Event Viewer : The Device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 Has a Bad Block

The system has been running fine for 2 years..

System Specs:
AMD 5900x
x570-e rog
Corsair Vengence Pro 4000mhz
Corsair RMX 850
evga 3080ti

Am I at the point I should look to swap the MOBO? I have a small case and it would be a real pain :(

Last edited:

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Update on this: installed a new boot ssd and disconnected extra drives and peripherals. Still seeing Freezing can't get through a windows install, and still having issues booting from USB. Will try a fresh USB install disk next but not looking like the SSD is the problem here.

Edit: Not the only problem atleast.
Signs are pointing to CPU/MotherBoard/PSU failure.. but given that we are having what appears to be disk OS freezing - its probably CPU or MotherBoard

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS