System won't boot with GPU connected

chase_krenzke

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
I just got a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Card but once I connect the PCIE cables to it my system won't boot up. The lights will come on for a second and then it powers off. I tried it first with a 550w PSU and thought that it might not be enough power to run it, so I upgrade to a Thermaltake 650w bronze, but I get the same issue. I know the motherboard is from an old Hp computer, but that shouldn't be the problem, right? Should I just return the GPU and get another one? I'm a noob at computers so any advice would be great, thanks.

AMD A8 6500
1 8gb Micron DDR3 1600MHZ
MS - 7778 Motherboard
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g
650w Thermaltake bronze
2tb Seagate HDD

Solution
Your board's BIOS must be limited then, since it is an OEM board. Only thing you can do now is try running your GPU in another system to see if it is faulty or not. If it doesn't work in the other system too, you might have a bad GPU.
Did you make sure that all the connectors are tight and secure? Have you connected the power connectors for the GPU? Is the monitor connected to the GPU's video ports? Remove the GPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard, and if the system boots then, go into the BIOS and find a setting called 'Primary display Adapter' or something similar, make sure it is set to PCI-e.

chase_krenzke

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
I've tried all of that except the BIOS one. I had a Gt 1030 before and it booted up fine with that. I'm very confused about the BIOS. I think I'm on it, but I can't find any of those settings you mentioned. I can only look at my system info and manage my storage, security, and power settings.

Your board's BIOS must be limited then, since it is an OEM board. Only thing you can do now is try running your GPU in another system to see if it is faulty or not. If it doesn't work in the other system too, you might have a bad GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS