[SOLVED] System won't boot with more than 8GB RAM :(

Kearnsy_bobs

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
Afternoon!

After putting up with my current situation for a few months I thought I see if anyone may be able to provide some insight!

Built a new PC a few months ago:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard
  • EVGA 550w Power Supply
  • i5 9600k
  • RTX 2060 Graphics Card
- Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM (2 x 8gb sticks in one pack)

Initially I couldn't get the system to post, until I decided to just try one stick of RAM (8gb). This worked and allowed me to boot and install windows, drivers etc. I then test all the RAM slots, (1-4), it allowed me to boot with 1 stick of RAM in either slot 1 or 2 (but not 3 or 4) and it would never post with both 8gb modules installed no matter the variation of slots used.

Because it would boot with any one stick, I understood that the RAM would most likely not be faulty. I had a new spare Vengeance LPX 16gb stick (2666Mhz) lying about, so I decided to see if this would post. Alas no matter which slot I installed the 16gb stick, it would not post.

So here I am, with a relatively powerful rig only being able to use 1 8gb stick of RAM. Do any of you fine fellows have any ideas what could be the issue? I'm really hoping it is not a defective MB :(

Appreciate your time and thoughts!

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Afternoon!

After putting up with my current situation for a few months I thought I see if anyone may be able to provide some insight!

Built a new PC a few months ago:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard
  • EVGA 550w Power Supply
  • i5 9600k
  • RTX 2060 Graphics Card
- Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM (2 x 8gb sticks in one pack)

Initially I couldn't get the system to post, until I decided to just try one stick of RAM (8gb). This worked and allowed me to boot and install windows, drivers etc. I then test all the RAM slots, (1-4), it allowed me to boot with 1 stick of RAM in either slot 2 or 4 (but not 1 or 3) and it would never post with both 8gb modules installed no matter the variation of slots used.

Because it would boot with any one stick, I understood that the RAM would most likely not be faulty. I had a new spare Vengeance LPX 16gb stick (2666Mhz) lying about, so I decided to see if this would post. Alas no matter which slot I installed the 16gb stick, it would not post.

So here I am, with a relatively powerful rig only being able to use 1 8gb stick of RAM. Do any of you fine fellows have any ideas what could be the issue? I'm really hoping it is not a defective MB :(

Appreciate your time and thoughts!
Exactly which Gigabyte Z390 model?

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
memory controllers after 775 socket are installed directly in cpu
you might have scratch on motherboard that cuts signal from ram to cpu, or you have bad cpu
alcohole is not conductive, so try to clean ram socket conacts with soft teeth brush
clean cpu contacts on cpu, not motherboard (dont even touch motherboard pins, that is the most fragile part of the mobo)

TRENDING THREADS