[SOLVED] System won't display

iloveapplepieman

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
Hi, I recently tried to build a new PC. I'm using a bunch of parts from my last pc, which was a b250m pro 4 asrock motherboard, a GTX 1050ti graphics card, 2x4gb 2133mhz g.skill ram sticks and an i5 7500 cpu.

upon completion of it, i tried to start it up. it kept turning on and off. i fiddled with the ram sticks and pushed them in further, then the fans turned on and the lights turned on too, but it dwouldn't show a display.

thinking it was a problem with the ram, i took one and out and put the remaining ram slot in the first slot. it turned on and booted to display. so then, i took it back out and tried the other one. didn't turn on display. so, okay, i figure that one of them was broken.

well, i tried putting the one that worked back in, but now it won't display. i even tried putting in a ram stick from my current PC and now it won't boot to display at all.

any ideas on what's going on? i'm clueless. only think i can think of is the ram is busted or the mobo is broken. 🤷

Last edited:
Solution
Once I read about re-using parts from another PC, I instantly wonder....

Were any modular cables from PSU-A perhaps used with a different PSU-B? (98% of the time, this is bad, with different pinouts at the PSU's modular insertion points, resulting in potentially catastrophic results to PSU, mainboards, GPU, disk drives, etc..)

At some point, you had a display with one RAM stick inserted in a specific slot...

Try to get back to that point. (You can remove the GPU entirely, disconnect all drives, etc...

YOu only need a RAM stick, a CPU/fan, mainoard, and PSU to function...(utilize the mainboard's graphics out, HDMI/VGA as appropriate)

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs.

List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

since this is an upgrade from an older system, mention the before and after specs(meaning two sets of specs) and include the age of the PSU.

You might also want to see if removing the CMOS battery and replacing it after 15 minutes changes the issue. FYI, always make sure your power from the wall is turned off when replacing or swapping out hardware.

iloveapplepieman

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
Ah, right. So, the specs for the PC are as follows:
CPU: I5 7500 (old
Motherboard: ASRock b250m Pro4 (old, got it in 2017)
RAM: 2x4gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 (old, early 2018)
SSD/HDD: Crucial BX500 240gb 2.5 inch SSD (new)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti Windforce OC 4GB (old, 2017)
PSU: EVGA 500 BR 500W 80+ Bronze (brand new)
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 275R Midtower (also new)

To clarify, this PC was built with mostly old parts, which is seperate from the PC I'm running now. I'll list the specs for the PC im running primarily below regardless:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Ram: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz DDR4
SSD/HDD: 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5"
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB GPU
PSU: 500W FSP Hydro 80Plus Bronze PSU
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 100R Silent

I'll try removing the CMOS battery, will let you know if that fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Once I read about re-using parts from another PC, I instantly wonder....

Were any modular cables from PSU-A perhaps used with a different PSU-B? (98% of the time, this is bad, with different pinouts at the PSU's modular insertion points, resulting in potentially catastrophic results to PSU, mainboards, GPU, disk drives, etc..)

At some point, you had a display with one RAM stick inserted in a specific slot...

Try to get back to that point. (You can remove the GPU entirely, disconnect all drives, etc...

YOu only need a RAM stick, a CPU/fan, mainoard, and PSU to function...(utilize the mainboard's graphics out, HDMI/VGA as appropriate)

Solution

iloveapplepieman

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
I'll do that, but to note; when I plug the HDMI cable from the monitor into the GPU, nothing happens until 10 seconds later, where the monitor recognizes somethings on or whatever, but it just shows a black screen.

However when I try to connect the mainboard graphics to the monitor, the monitor doesn't register anything at all. It can't find a source or w/e.

Also, both PSUs were not modular.

I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.

iloveapplepieman

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
Okay, so I did what you said and took out everything except the CPU, RAM, board and PSU. It worked! I put two ram sticks in, it also worked. Then when I put the GPU back in, no display.

I then swapped the 2060 from my current PC into the PC having issues, booted to display with no problems. So I'm positive that it was the GPU that wasn't working, because every time it was plugged in, nothing.

Thanks for the help!