Question System won't install Nvidia driver for my new GPU ?

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
I've just upgraded to an RTX 4060 Ti 16GB, but my system won't install an Nvidia driver, and is only showing "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" in device manager. So at the moment only 1 monitor is displaying anything.

I've tried using GeForce Experience and installing the driver manually, but both fail. Also tried disabling Windows Security but that didn't work.

Could something in my setup be incompatible with this GPU? Or is there anything else I should try?

My system is:

Mobo - MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi (updated to latest BIOS)
Power Supply - Corsair GS700
CPU - i7-10700KF
GPU - RTX 4060 Ti 16GB

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
It's a new GPU, upgrading from a GTX 1050ti.

I think it might be my CPU, doesn't look like it supports PCI-E 4.0. Is there any way around this? Or do I need to go for a different GPU?

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
I tried using a different PCI-E slot, but same issue.

The only error message is "NVIDIA installer failed".

DDU only detects the Basic Display Adapter driver, is it still worth running? I think when performing a clean Nvidia driver install, it already removed any older Nvidia files before failing to install the new one.

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
Quick search shows this. Looks like a couple of registry keys may need deleted.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4223/~/solving-nvidia-installer-issues

Those registry keys aren't there.

I also have a 4060Ti and had none of these issues. I think you messed something up with the setup. I'd start from scratch and do it again. Maybe you have some incompatible python versions lying around.

What processor do you have?

More like - it's a damaged card.
Since it's displaying 0MB of vram.

Are we ruling out the processor as a potential cause? Should I still be able to install drivers for the 40 series GPUs with a processor that doesn't support PCIe 4.0?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Are we ruling out the processor as a potential cause? Should I still be able to install drivers for the 40 series GPUs with a processor that doesn't support PCIe 4.0?
Nothing to do with PCIE 4.0.
Graphics card can work in PCIE 3.0 mode just fine.
In fact - at idle mode it will fall back to PCIE 1.1 , to save power. This is not a problem and completely normal.

It's a broken card. Return it.

BTW - what driver version are you trying to install?
Did you download latest version?

Last edited:

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
Ok thanks.

Yep, tried installing the latest driver, both manually and through GeForce Experience. Also tried downloading an older driver, but same issue.

aidacuk

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
Update - I've just upgraded Windows from 10 to 11 and as soon as 11 booted up, it picked up all 3 monitors and the GPU is correctly listed in device manager. I've also been able to update the Nvidia driver to the latest version.

So I'm not entirely sure what the issue was, possibly some corrupt / missing windows files?

Reactions: stonecarver
Update - I've just upgraded Windows from 10 to 11 and as soon as 11 booted up, it picked up all 3 monitors and the GPU is correctly listed in device manager. I've also been able to update the Nvidia driver to the latest version.

So I'm not entirely sure what the issue was, possibly some corrupt / missing windows files?

Could be windows driver problems and clean install made everything worked again. Glad it working for you now and enjoy your time with the GPU

TRENDING THREADS