Question system won't post after re-installing old GPU

Apr 16, 2021
I would like some help as I am going nuts over this thing.
I recently installed a 3090 on my relatively new system and it was working fine. I have two pc's and this morning I decided to swap the gpus between them so I installed my old GTX1060 on the one that had the 3090 and now it won't post. Everything turns on, all fans, mobo rgb etc but I cannot get anything showing. No beep, no display no nothing.
I tried clearing the CMOS, I even tried reinstalling the 3090 GPU on the same machine and it just won't post.
The system has an MSI motherboard with 16gb ram and 10600k bought july 2020.
Any clues? how would you troubleshoot this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If 3090 isn't working either now, check PCIe power cables (both ends if modular), card is seated properly and that you're actually using the video ports from the card and not motherboard (it does happen being relatively close).

List entire specs please including psu make and model. Have you tried igpu?

Apr 16, 2021
If 3090 isn't working either now, check PCIe power cables (both ends if modular), card is seated properly and that you're actually using the video ports from the card and not motherboard (it does happen being relatively close).

List entire specs please including psu make and model. Have you tried igpu?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes already checked those. tried multiple power cables as well.

Already tried removing the GPU and plugging the hdmi screen cable on the motherboard but still no luck. Not sure if 10600K igpu is supposed to work automatically when there's no discreet GPU installed

Motherboard: MSI MPG Intel Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX
Cpu: Intel 10600K
Ram:
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX White, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 3 gb
PSU: Corsair RM850x (bought in 2018)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes igpu should automatically be enabled with no gpu installed.

Where from are the cables you tried? Because pinouts aren't universal across brands (and sometimes models within same brand) in the psu industry. +/- pins can be in different spots and risk damage. Initially an issue leading to another, i hope nothing was fried.

For now try get igpu working. Reseat ram, recheck cpu, atx cables, cpu fan cable and clear cmos again with no gpu installed.

Apr 16, 2021
Yes igpu should automatically be enabled with no gpu installed.

Where from are the cables you tried? Because pinouts aren't universal across brands (and sometimes models within same brand) in the psu industry. +/- pins can be in different spots and risk damage. Initially an issue leading to another, i hope nothing was fried.

For now try get igpu working. Reseat ram, recheck cpu, atx cables, cpu fan cable and clear cmos again with no gpu installed.

The extra cables came together with the PSU, it is a fully modular 80+Gold. I highly doubt this is a PSU issue.
cleared CMOS but igpu not working still...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It wouldn't be psu related now that i know the cables are original.

Hard to say what's happened. Changing video cards shouldn't ever cause issues unless there was still power running through or very rough with handling. There's not much else to it. You've done the troubleshooting steps anyone would have done. Igpu still not working is either faulty motherboard or cpu.

Not being there in person or knowing the exact original circumstances doesn't help i know. Best take it to a shop.

Apr 16, 2021
Cheers, thanks so much for your time!
Definitely not any power running or rough handling when installing, I am still scratching my head about this.
Will probably take it to a shop as it is super weird.

Jun 3, 2021
Cheers, thanks so much for your time!
Definitely not any power running or rough handling when installing, I am still scratching my head about this.
Will probably take it to a shop as it is super weird.
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the same issue right now