[SOLVED] System won't post after trying to add RAM *RESOLVED*

Goldensword

Honorable
Sep 17, 2014
My computer worked fine until I tried to add two more sticks of 8GB RAM (same brand, same model, same frequency) to my build. I also added a 1TB SATA HDD from an old laptop with the intent to clear it and use it for extra storage. After putting it together and powering it on, the case fans, CPU cooler, and GPU fan came on along with the case lights. The post checker lit up flagging DRAM and CPU and the system failed to post (nothing shows up on my monitor, no lights on my mouse/keyboard. It stayed like this until I turned it off). I immediately removed the HDD and have tried pretty much every combination of new and old RAM in every slot (using from 1-4 sticks depending on the test), reseated the GPU, and reset CMOS in combination with these changes. After every test I get lights, fans, and the post checker flagging dram and CPU. The system is only 3 months old so it should be covered by warranties, but I would like to resolve the issue without resorting to that since I regularly use this system for work.

As an additional test I removed my GPU and tried to boot and get the same two post checker flags for DRAM and CPU (it does not add a light for VGA/display issues).

I have no idea why it won't post let alone boot and am losing my mind. I plan to reseat the CPU but don't currently have thermal paste to do so.

My System:
Motherboard: Asrock B550M Pro4 (should be P1.10 BIOS [as written on chipset, I can't boot to BIOS to confirm])
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 3200Mhz 8GB x4 (started with 2 sticks, tried to add 2 more)
SSD: Intel 655p M.2 2280 1TB SSD
GPU: PNY XLR8 GTX 1650 SUPER
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series 500W
WiFi: ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 AC1200 Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe/Mpcie Adapter (shouldn’t matter, but stranger things have happened)

Sanity checks:
I have made sure the ram is seated correctly. It’s super hard to get it all the way in, but the latch makes an audible click when fully secured.
I have checked all my PSU cabling.
I have not had the HDD plugged in since I first tried to boot and it wouldn’t post, so I don’t think that’s at all related.
My display cables are plugged into the GPU (no integrated graphics on the 3700X).

Solution
Fixed it! The RAM wasn't seating which I only learned after removing everything from the case where I could see if the RAM was actually getting properly seated. When the switch locks each stick in, the opposite end seesaws out of place and you have to apply a shocking amount of force to get it to seat properly. It's impossible to see with the mobo in the case, and you have to be specifically looking for it with it out of the case. Even when the off end is skewed out it's pretty much imperceptibly out of line with properly seated sticks. This isn't the first time I had put RAM into this mobo and it's super annoying that it took this much time and effort to figure it out. Thanks to everyone who commented suggestions.
My computer worked fine until I tried to add two more sticks of 8GB RAM (same brand, same model, same frequency) to my build. I also added a 1TB SATA HDD from an old laptop with the intent to clear it and use it for extra storage. After putting it together and powering it on, the case fans, CPU cooler, and GPU fan came on along with the case lights. The post checker lit up flagging DRAM and CPU and the system failed to post (nothing shows up on my monitor, no lights on my mouse/keyboard. It stayed like this until I turned it off). I immediately removed the HDD and have tried pretty much every combination of new and old RAM in every slot (using from 1-4 sticks depending on the test), reseated the GPU, and reset CMOS in combination with these changes. After every test I get lights, fans, and the post checker flagging dram and CPU. The system is only 3 months old so it should be covered by warranties, but I would like to resolve the issue without resorting to that since I regularly use this system for work.

As an additional test I removed my GPU and tried to boot and get the same two post checker flags for DRAM and CPU (it does not add a light for VGA/display issues).

I have no idea why it won't post let alone boot and am losing my mind. I plan to reseat the CPU but don't currently have thermal paste to do so.

My System:
Motherboard: Asrock B550M Pro4 (should be P1.10 BIOS [as written on chipset, I can't boot to BIOS to confirm])
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 3200Mhz 8GB x4 (started with 2 sticks, tried to add 2 more)
SSD: Intel 655p M.2 2280 1TB SSD
GPU: PNY XLR8 GTX 1650 SUPER
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series 500W
WiFi: ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 AC1200 Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe/Mpcie Adapter (shouldn’t matter, but stranger things have happened)

Sanity checks:
I have made sure the ram is seated correctly. It’s super hard to get it all the way in, but the latch makes an audible click when fully secured.
I have checked all my PSU cabling.
I have not had the HDD plugged in since I first tried to boot and it wouldn’t post, so I don’t think that’s at all related.
My display cables are plugged into the GPU (no integrated graphics on the 3700X).

4 sticks do not generally operate at the same clocks as 2 sticks. You need to let the CPU retrain memory and that means clearing or resetting CMOS. Sometimes it has to be accompanied with removing the battery...so pull the battery too. And leave the pins shorted for a long time, just make it 1/2 hour at least to be sure.

Look in your manual for instructions for resetting CMOS.

Goldensword

Honorable
Sep 17, 2014
Fixed it! The RAM wasn't seating which I only learned after removing everything from the case where I could see if the RAM was actually getting properly seated. When the switch locks each stick in, the opposite end seesaws out of place and you have to apply a shocking amount of force to get it to seat properly. It's impossible to see with the mobo in the case, and you have to be specifically looking for it with it out of the case. Even when the off end is skewed out it's pretty much imperceptibly out of line with properly seated sticks. This isn't the first time I had put RAM into this mobo and it's super annoying that it took this much time and effort to figure it out. Thanks to everyone who commented suggestions.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution