Question System wont post. Please help.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
Hello, I'm back again... so I just got a new gpu, 4070 ti. I took my old GPU out a 6950 xt and started up my PC. PC started but nothing happened, tried clearing CMOS nothing happened, tried switching drives, nothing happened.

Switched back to the 6950 xt.
The system started but then powered down, give it a few minutes, turned it on and it powered on for 5 seconds, turned it on again and nothing happened. System was dead?

Move PC to living room, plug it into another outlet. Everything works fine again but still won't post. Everything lights up, all fans are moving, ect. but no post.

I have no clue what the heck is going on, I switched my PSU, the RAM and I'm about to try the CPU. I have no clue what in God's name just happened... been working on this since 3 pm. All I did was plug in a new GPU and all this crazy stuff happened.

PSU: Corsair RM 1000X Plus 80 Gold
GPU: RTX 4070 ti
CPU: i5-13600k (already own a i9-13900k but wanted to see how this ran first)
RAM: DDR5 Corsair Dominators 5600mhz
MB: ASUS TUF Z790 PLUS WIFI
Storage: WD_BLACK SN850X

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
Dumb question. Did you connect the PCIe GPU power cable to the graphics card. It is very easy to forget to plug it back in when switching cards.
I did as it came with a cable to combine both PCIe cables into one cable for the GPU. I just spent this whole time switching GPUs and installing my old SSD with an OS on it to see if that was the issue like with drivers or whatever and that didn't work. I'm so lost to what it could be.

PassMark

Distinguished
i5-13600k has integrated graphics. Can you boot without a video card?

Do you have 2nd PSU to try?

Can you try a different PCIe slot for the video (even if not optimal speed).

I would be starting to suspect MB has died.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
i5-13600k has integrated graphics. Can you boot without a video card?

Do you have 2nd PSU to try?

Can you try a different PCIe slot for the video (even if not optimal speed).

I would be starting to suspect MB has died.
I cannot boot with or without a GPU I plugged in directly into the MB, same thing happens. I've tried with 4 cards.

I tried my thermaltake 1200w power supply game thing happened. (I only use the cables that come with the Power Supplies and never mixed cables)

I will try putting it into another slot and see if it works.

I believe the motherboard has died as well so I'm picking one up tonight. I still have no idea what happened to kill the motherboard. It seems like my surge protector died as well as the PC wouldn't work with it plugged into it anymore. I swapped my 6950xt for a 4070 ti and have a 1000w corsair psu, did it pull too much power and killed the board?