Question System won't POST.. tried everything, please help!

Oct 11, 2023
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (used, verified working)

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 (used, verified working)

MOBO: Asus Prime x470 Pro (used off of FB market)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (new)

Case: NZXT H5 Flow (new)

PSU: Corsair CX650M Bronze (used, verified working)

Storage: M.2 WD Black 500GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD (both new)

A bit of a weird frankenstein build for my little brother using some of my old PC parts and some new ones we got, but to my understanding it should work. I put everything together for him a few days and it powers on, CPU cooler fans run and GPU fans are on, also the I/O has power, but there is no display and the USB peripherals are not turning on (Mouse and Keyboard). So far I have cleared the CMOS memory, tried different RAM configurations (1 stick, vs 2 sticks, also tried every RAM slot available), I have tried 3 other different brands/configs of RAM I have in other builds, and did a hard reset of the BIOS using the instructions in the sticky post here about POST issues (similar to CMOS clear). I have also reseated and cleaned the connectors for the CPU and GPU and tried different power cables to the CPU in case it was a bad cable. BIOS should not be an issue as 1st gen Ryzen should be supported by this motherboard out of the box. The previous owner had a Ryzen 7 3700x and a 3070ti with 16GB of 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance. I have tried different monitors and USB peripherals as well as using both HDMI and Display Port with the same result. I have gone through the stickied post about POST issues and done just about everything.. this motherboard does not have an internal speaker to hear beeps or have debug LEDs so I have no indication of what parts of the boot process are not getting initiated.

Anyone have any ideas? I am pretty desperate at this point, been troubleshooting for 3+ days now before I just buy him a brand new motherboard but right now that is not an option.

Ralston18

Titan
Starting here:

"1st gen Ryzen should be supported by this motherboard out of the box."

Should be? Confirm via the manufacturer's website.

Internal speaker.

It should be fairly straightforward to connect an internal speaker.

Try to do so (per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual) and carefully listen to any beep codes that are heard.

Pay close attention to long and short beeps in whatever pattern those beeps manifest.

= = = =

Also try booting into Safe mode.

Does that work?

Oct 11, 2023
Starting here:

"1st gen Ryzen should be supported by this motherboard out of the box."

Should be? Confirm via the manufacturer's website.

Internal speaker.

It should be fairly straightforward to connect an internal speaker.

Try to do so (per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual) and carefully listen to any beep codes that are heard.

Pay close attention to long and short beeps in whatever pattern those beeps manifest.

= = = =

Also try booting into Safe mode.

Does that work?
It did not come with an internal or chassis speaker to install, I disconnected everything except the CPU and cooler to see if it had anything built in that would be beep when no RAM or GPU was detected and nothing was heard.

And yes, I checked the support site and my chip is on there. The previous owner used an updated CPU bios version before me so my chip is also still supported by that.

I have no way to boot into safe mode unfortunately. I have no inputs or display when the PC receives power.

Oct 11, 2023
Thats
This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

Do verify that I found the correct motherboard documentation.

Reference Page 1-9 regarding audio connect
This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

Do verify that I found the correct motherboard documentation.

Reference Page 1-9 regarding audio connections,
That connection is for the auxiliary out on the front of the case, it’s a 3.5mm jack.

Ralston18

Titan
"That connection is for the auxiliary out on the front of the case, it’s a 3.5mm jack."

What is preventing plugging in a small speaker or even just earphones to hear any beeps?

= = = =

System Panel

Also, I overlooked (my apologies) Page 1-13, Paragraph 8 regarding connection of an internal speaker.

"System warning speaker (4-pin SPEAKER)
This 4-pin connector is for the chassis-mounted system warning speaker. The speaker
allows you to hear system beeps and warnings."

Latest posts