System won't POST unless I reset CMOS - new build

mocenct

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hi,

I've recently built the system below and I'm unable to get it to POST unless I reset the CMOS - all lights and fans show the expected signs of life, but no cheerful (or even unhappy) pips from the system speaker. If I do reset the CMOS, I can boot from the BIOS fine and the system runs great.

System Specs
Asus Z170-P Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express RGB Graphics Card
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache - OEM *
EVGA Supernova G2 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
Windows 10 OS (free upgrade from Windows 7)
Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Tower Case

* The HDD comes from my old system, I have cloned the Windows 10 install onto the SSD. All other parts are brand new

Attempted Fixes
Below is what I hope is a comprehensive list of all the things I have tried to do to fix my no-POST issue, all without success:

1. I'll expand upon some of these a bit, but everything in this post: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems?_ga=1.120299279.643725087.1475011016
    2. I have already RMA'd my motherboard because of this issue, and this hasn't helped. On both boards I inspected the pins before CPU installation, and on the one I returned I couldn't see any problems after removing the CPU either.
    3. Replaced the CMOS battery for good measure
    4. Removed the mobo from the case and built a bare-bones system on a cardboard box with mobo + CPU + RAM + GPU + PSU (+ system speaker)
    5. The above, but with GPU removed
    6. Removed the RAM as well just to confirm I get the expected warning from the diagnostic speaker (I do)
    7. Various combinations of one or two sticks of RAM in the various slots
    8. Tested the power supply for the mobo, CPU and GPU using one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019GQAJCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. All voltages seem stable
    9. Installed a diagnostic card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HG7F9BK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which gave me an error code "--F7". However I can't find any reference to this for my UEFI AMI BIOS either in the supplied manual or online.
    10. Flashed the BIOS (1804->2003)
    11. Turned XMP on to get the RAM up to 2400MHz, but then resetting just leads to having to reset the CMOS again
    12. I've rebuilt the system from scratch three times now (twice with the original mobo, and again with its replacement), and have checked every cable and component connection more times than that
    13. Not a fix as such but to cover all bases I should state I hooked myself up via an electrostatic wristband to the metallic case during install

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough. I'm a pretty novice builder (this is my 2nd self-build, the first went without a hitch) but I like to think I've covered the obvious pitfalls.

As I say, the system runs great when I boot following a CMOS reset, which almost makes it more frustrating!

Many thanks :)

Solution
It seems as if you didn't do a UEFI install, have the wrong BIOS settings for the install, or made another error installing the Windows software.

mocenct

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Maybe that was poor wording... I cloned my pre-existing HDD to a new SSD using EaseUS backup software. I then did a reinstall of Windows on the SSD (I had upgraded from Windows 7 so didn't have any other way to install it to my SSD).

mocenct

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I think I've somewhat bottomed out my issues...

I have now underclocked my RAM down to 2100 MHz which allows the system to POST successfully. As I can't boot with the recommended RAM settings (I've double checked the manufacturers instructions against the BIOS settings to make sure it's not me being an idiot) I guess the RAM is defective.

I also suspect you're right that there's something wrong with my Windows install or drivers somewhere as I've found I can't boot from SSD without the HDD being connected as well. I'll wipe the SSD and start from scratch.

Cheers :)