System wont start up, keeps rebooting (multiple fixes tested but still)

Ryapnage

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi all,

First, spec:

i7-6850K, Cosair H110i Cooler
32GB LPX Vengence (4*8GB DDR4 2400)
Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC edition
Asus Strix X99 Gaming
Samsumg 950 Pro + WD 4 TB
Corsair AX860i

As you could probably see this is a good gaming machine and I only built it like last Aug. But recently my computer started to behave strangely. Sometimes when i hit the power button the computer would start up briefly but only secs after that it would shut down (like power cut off). Then it would start up again and after secs off again (this goes on and on).

These are all the tests I've already done after searching on the forum:

1. CMOS reset (taking out the battery)
2. Re-seat all the RAMs
3. PSU self-test (detach all the cable and press the "TEST", it gives green light)
4. Reconnect all the cable
5. Dust cleaning

I'm not a veteran builder and this is my first build, I'm just confused why all of a sudden my pc is not working. To make this even more confusing, sometimes I could fix the problem by using either one of the approaches listed above (honestly I dont know what i did, i just randomly reconnected stuff, like detach the PSU power cable and wait and reconnect) and the pc would just go back to normal, boot up and running as usual (not helpful at all cuz i still dont know what is the problem), but when it happens it is really really frustrating.

I would appreciate any input, like what do you think is the problem/ how can i know what is happening/etc, and I really appreciate your help guys.

Thanks!

ps. I've ordered a new psu from amazon again to test. It should arrive in a few days.

Solution
https://youtu.be/YKhCQmKAmEM
Try following these steps again and if none of that works then it will most definitely be a motherboard issue. I also can give you a way to test your psu, disconnect all power cords from your psu to your system, connect the green and black wires on your 24 pin With a metal paperclip and then plug a fan or something into your 4pin or sata power cable and see if they turn on and stay on. This method jumps the power supply and lets your test to see if your getting constant power from it.(just make sure not to touch the paper clip while the psu is plugged in, I've made that mistake before :/ )

CRAZYB0N3S

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
It's motherboard issue, I had the exact same problem with mine there is a short on the board and your warrenty should cover it seeing as asus is a good brand. I would not try to fix it yourself as that would void your warranty, also if you keep restarting it you could end up shorting another device on accident if your not careful. Good luck my friend and take care

Ryapnage

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Thanks for the reply! But how can i know for sure? Cuz if it is indeed the mobo issue i guess ill have to send it back to asus, and I just wanna make sure I'm on the right direction

CRAZYB0N3S

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
https://youtu.be/YKhCQmKAmEM
Try following these steps again and if none of that works then it will most definitely be a motherboard issue. I also can give you a way to test your psu, disconnect all power cords from your psu to your system, connect the green and black wires on your 24 pin With a metal paperclip and then plug a fan or something into your 4pin or sata power cable and see if they turn on and stay on. This method jumps the power supply and lets your test to see if your getting constant power from it.(just make sure not to touch the paper clip while the psu is plugged in, I've made that mistake before :/ )

Solution

TRENDING THREADS