System won't wake from sleep, at a loss for what to do.

Dec 21, 2018
Hi everyone! I completed my build a few weeks ago with this forums help, so thank you all so much! There's only this one outstanding, quality-of-life issue that I haven't managed to figure out, and I'm at a loss for how to fix it. I really hope someone has a solution.

Problem/ Symptons:

Since its completion, my computer hasn't been able to wake up normally from sleep when put to sleep manually. Note: If I leave it alone long enough, the display goes out like a charm with no problems waking it up via mouse/keyboard, but the CPU and everything else remains awake as usual.

Basically, every time I tell it the computer to sleep, the normal processes occur: Screen goes black, computer goes dark, fans turn off, and the LED power buttons on the case & monitor blink to indicate sleep mode. Then, when I click the mouse/keyboard, the computer quickly comes to life- GPU, ram, rgb lights, everything's on and looks good for a second- except it keeps blinking it's sleep indicating LED, the monitor refuses to turn back on and is also still blinking its sleep LED, and weirdly enough, the fans start spinning much faster than normal, like they're under load and won't slow down. The only way to get things going back to normal again is to do a hard shut down.

For reference, this is my build with all the details about the components I'm using: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/edit/?userbuild=gsfH99

Troubleshooting: I've done a bit of research on the problem. Some people have suggested manually editing the device properties of the mice and keyboard to ensure they are allowed to wake the monitor/comp up. Did all that. No luck.

Another suggestion was to update the display drivers on my graphics card & monitor (rx 580 & Samsung cf390), no changes there.

Tried some simple fixes like unplugging and re-plugging the hdmi cord in the monitor and graphics card, update windows & my mobo drivers, change the USB inputs where I connect the mouse/keyboard. Nothing.

The only thing I haven't tried is messing with the BIOS/ trying out a new PSU, but before that, I just wanted to see what you all thought I should do first. I'm at a loss right now and would really appreciate any help.

Reactions: prrunnergreen7