System worked fine for about 30 minutes and then...

zennoshinjou

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I just built a new system (specs below) and after getting everything together it booted up without issues the first time and I got through the install of windows 7. Once in Windows I left to eat and when I came back the PC was off. I turned it back thinking maybe there was an issue with sleep and it worked fine for 10-15 minutes and then powered itself off. Now I can't get it to power up at all for longer than 1s or so. The fans try to spin up and then nothing. I have reseated everything (save for the cpu) and swapped out other ram with the exact same results. One other piece of information is that after a failed power on I have to switch the psu on and off again before it will respond in any fashion to the power button. It seems unlikely that the cpu is overheating in that tiny amount of time. Thoughts?

cpu: i7 860 w/ stock cooler
ram: corsair xms3 pc1333 2gx4
mobo: asus p7p55d deluxe
psu: corsair 750w
vid: ati 5770

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Did you actually read his post?

@zennoshinjou
I guess your best bet is to start from scratch. Take mobo out of the case to eliminate a short. Clear CMOS. Unplug all drives and try booting without anything but for CPU. If problem persists try getting hold of different PSU.