[SOLVED] System working fine for 3 years, suddenly wont boot

Apr 5, 2020
Hey guys, this happened today and I'm very worried. I have zoom lectures tomorrow and also a job and am really worried I wont be able to get my system working again

What happened was I noticed by PC would shutdown instantly with a decent probability if I opened the game Dead By Daylight. So i looked into it and it was shutting down by Kernel Power error 41, which I googled around and people said could be anything. Some people suggested reseating some components, so I did.

I shut off my PC. Removed the PCIe lock, removed the graphics card. Cleaned up some dust. Put graphics card back in. Nothing looks damaged but there is like a spec of something in the PCIe pin on the motherboard. Picture attached.

Tried to turn on system. Computer instantly shut off and then turned back on. Got a code 00 from motherboard.

Tried removing graphics card and trying the integrated graphics, same thing. Tried removing all but one ram stick, same thing.

I have no idea what went wrong and no idea what components arent working. Im extremely worried the system is borked, but no idea how it could have gotten that way.

Im on a hard wood floor so I doubt it was static electricity.

Please, any ideas?

System specs:

Graphics - MSI GTX 970
CPU - Intel 4790k
Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS HERO VII
RAM - GSKILL and Skull 16gb of ram
Corsair liquid cooler
Power Supply - 750W Gold

Solution
Have you tried pressing the Clear CMOS button at the bottom of your motherboard?
Have you tried pressing the MemOK! button in the top right corner of your motherboard?
What do the small Q-LEDs on your motherboard (just below the 24-pin power connector) show when you boot?

Q-LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and booting devices) in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the corresponding LED flashes until the problem is solved.
Have you tried pressing the Clear CMOS button at the bottom of your motherboard?
Have you tried pressing the MemOK! button in the top right corner of your motherboard?
What do the small Q-LEDs on your motherboard (just below the 24-pin power connector) show when you boot?

Q-LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and booting devices) in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the corresponding LED flashes until the problem is solved.

Solution