Question System works for 3 months after reloading windows, then won't boot...

webejammin77

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
My friends laptop crapped out on him a year or so ago and started going to blue screen upon boot. Attempts to repair windows went no where. Dump files showed Wininit.exe was failing to load and there was no error code given.

I reloaded windows on his machine, and it worked fine for like 3 months than wound up back with the exact same symptom sets.

I told him I thought he might have hard drive or ram problems, but I did run some checks on his hard drive and his RAM while I had it at my place and they all came back healthy. r

He took the machine to a lenovo repair shop and they just reloaded windows like I did (and also managed to lose about 20gb of his photos)... doh..

Anyways, then it went back to doing the same thing 3-4 months later.

This machine has a 256gb SSD in it, I told him I don't know what the problem is, but if I had to guess, probably something wrong with the hard drive.

I think I am going to try replacing the hard drive and reloading windows on it to see if that fixes it, but I figured I'd post in a PC hardware forum before I do to see if any of you might have a better suggestion.

I used to repair computers for a living around 20 years ago, but now the work I do is all remote support and DB stuff... This is me just trying to help out a friend. I'm not looking to make money off of your expertise, just looking for some advice, as I've never seen a machine do this sort of thing and I don't know if this is something we can fix by replacing the hard drive or if he is simply better off buying a new computer.

webejammin77

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Probably 3/4 full. The machine has a 256 GB ssd in it.
He probably would have backed up his files before taking it in to the Lenovo guy, but he could not get into windows to do so, and lacks some of the basic things I tend to own, like SATA to USB adapter.
Pretty sure he either did not want to bother me with the machine or perhaps he did not trust what I was telling him.

TRENDING THREADS