Milo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

Can anyone tell me STEP BY STEP how to make AND restore a
fully bootable system image on windows XP pro so that in
case my computer is unable to boot, I can have it up and
running within an hour. My situation is rather like a
licences that would cost me over £700 if lost and I also
have a removable 27GB hard drive to back up to. I only
want all the files from my computer to be backed as it
would be pointless to back up the 11GB of files in my
removable drives as I don't have all the time in the
world. My scenario is that I don't know how to make a
fully bootable system image without files from removable
drives/disks and if it is worth to as I can view my files
stored on there with another computer. My major concern
is the registration codes and if they will be lost.

I was also wondering if I could make a backup of my C/:
drive that should contain all my programs and codes
(please state if you think program codes are stored
elsewhere) and restore it after I reformat the drive
after a unbootable situation so I can still have all my
precious codes after I restore it with a brand new
windows XP. If you have anything that you find hard to
understand, please let me know as this is quite urgent
for me.

Thanks very much.

Please review the article posted at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/asr.mspx to
learn how to create and use Automated System Recovery.

Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
participation only.