Hi everyone.

I've a small prob with one of my computers. The system32 folder has
disappeared, then I can't start the computer. I've some error message saying
that I must repair or restore windows. But I don't know how to do. I use the
XP SP2 home edition CD, I press "R" to repair, then the computer ask me
where to repair, I say "c:\WINDOWS", he ask me the administrator pass, and
then I have a command file "c:\WINDOWS:", but I don't know how to repair the
missing file.

(excuse me for my very bad english)

Hi

You are pressing 'R' at the wrong time. Have a look at the following
article by Michael Stevens regarding a 'Repair' install of XP:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"david griot" <chenoir@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've a small prob with one of my computers. The system32 folder has
> disappeared, then I can't start the computer. I've some error message
> saying
> that I must repair or restore windows. But I don't know how to do. I use
> the
> XP SP2 home edition CD, I press "R" to repair, then the computer ask me
> where to repair, I say "c:\WINDOWS", he ask me the administrator pass, and
> then I have a command file "c:\WINDOWS:", but I don't know how to repair
> the
> missing file.
>
> (excuse me for my very bad english)

As I understand, you loaded the recovery console from your WinXP CD by
starting the system from CD, and then pressing "R" for repair in recovery
console. Instead, maybe you should press "ENTER" to set up a new system, and
then choose an option for repairing the system, without going into the
recovery console. In that case, the WinXP will try to copy missing files to
the disk, including directory "system32".

Something like that. :)

Cheers.

Hi,
Restoring all of your system32 folder is a hard job to do. I prefer to do a
update install of XP. When you continue to setup it will ask you for a
update.
--
Cankat Akdemir

"david griot" <chenoir@hotmail.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý