SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Blue Screen

Saintrascal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Good evening technical gentlemen,

Since some time I am having trouble with daily blue screens. Now my pc works fine, games run smooth. However at random intervals I get a blue screen showing SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. Sometimes when I start a game, other times when the PC has gone into sleep mode and I return.

I have two dump files at the following link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Ln75ILde40NnBOdHdEcms1ZGs&usp=sharing

Would be very much appreciated if anyone can see what the problem might be, my expertise is too shallow to solve this issue. Thanks in advance!

Regards

- Your win32k.sys file has been hacked or is corrupted in the debugger memory and it does not work correctly.
- You are also running a old version of windows without a service pack or any update.
- unfortunately you have a driver for you graphics adapter that assumes that the old bugs in the windows 7 were fixed with the updates that you failed to install. Basically, install the fixes or your system will bugcheck sometimes

basically, do a virus scan, then a malware scan (malwarebytes)
run chkdsk /f /r on your drive
run system file checker
sfc.exe /scannow to fix corrupted OS files.

update to the service pack and the windows update.

Saintrascal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I only just formatted my computer because of these blue screens but they still come back, be it less in frequency it seems. So faulty OS files would be odd. However I will definitely try the diskcheck and the system files when I get home. Thanks for your reply!

Well, the old windows 7 has had thousands of bug fixes over the years. The fixes have been around so long that vendor no longer test on a unpatched nonupdated copy of windows 7. You now see new graphics drivers that no longer work around old bugs in windows 7 RTM. When you put these current drivers on a old version of windows 7, you just hit the old bugs that have been fixed for years. Also, many security professionals have released source code that shows how to hack into the unpatched version of windows. With this code even a programmer with child like skills can and do make a virus programs and malware. All they have to do it get you to run it.

Also, on a new install, it is very common to have your files corrupted during the install process.
You really want to run the system file checker to confirm your files are ok.

run cmd.exe as a admin
then
sfc.exe /scannow
(checks your core files for corruption and fixes them if your hidden backup copy is good)

Saintrascal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Sorry for my late reply but I have been ill. Thanks alot for your replies and it seems that simply installing all windows updates indeed has fixed the problem. Never bothered with it because I never noticed a difference, leading me to turning windows updates off after I formatted.

Anyway it seems fixed now, I haven't had a blue screen in two days!
Thanks again and have a fine day.

xDynamitex

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

fboecom

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Just documenting, in my case I upgraded on an MSI FX890 GD70 motherboard my Phenom processor with a FX8350 and added another 4Gb of system memory. Which one of the two? well, the memory. Either the two (both kingston!) sets are incompatible or some flaws in it. I count on the first. Freezes and blue screens were very unpredicatbly happening. Sometimes it would generate the system service exception.

aboctat

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Same problem
i checked disk and files, after formatting everything...
they also seen to be less frequent but there
sometimes other problems are written i bsod and sometimes none at all

tpat10

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

Bump...I'm having the same issue. Has anyone resolved this? I'm attempting windows updates but I get the blue screen error prior to those being able to run completely.

Kavin_1

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Hey so I got this problem after going on reddit 50/50 NSFW
I ran scans found nothing and
I'm on a 64 bit version of win10
I and I don't know if my windows had an update that would have done this .... but my guess it was 50/50 please tell me what you think what caused it is reinstalled windows 10 to my pc after scan showed up clean ... I suggest to do the same if you have this problem. thank you .

Carnocide

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

its crazy how you posted this just a minute ago, when im on here looking for the same solution. I too am running windows 10, and I too am getting these BSOD after the update. Ive been on 50/50 before and have never had this problem because of that. This makes me feel like the update has caused the issue.

global_mz

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Also on a 64 bit version of win10, had no problems with it until a few days ago after a Windows update. Was initially getting periodic blue screen with REGISTRY_FILTER_DRIVER_EXCEPTION (WdFilter.sys). Rolled back the two suspect updates and Installed an antivirus program to replace and disable Windows Defender, as the WdFilter.sys file indicated a Defender issue. Now I'm getting the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION blue screen instead. Such progress! Does seem to implicate the updates though. One year old system with new high end PSU. May try reinstalling the updates.

ZerockX

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Same here for me, i'm trying to find our similarity in hardware. Can you provide me your pc (laptop) full specs (include every hardware model name). Thanks.

global_mz

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Still trying to resolve - ugh!
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (for the OS)
Western Digital WD Purple 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (for data)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

ZerockX

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

No similar hardware, easier now. You running 361.75 nvidia driver? Did it happen after you update any driver? In case you want to give it a try, install an old driver like 358.91. Let me know if it works, thanks.

global_mz

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Well, think I found an answer. Updated bios and various drivers, ran multiple Malwarebytes deep scans and rootkit scans etc. Removed GPU and swapped out PSU. Still had blue screen. Had no spare RAM to swap, so applied some critical thinking and actually checked the crash dumps. Used Microsoft's WinDbg. Seemed to indicate googleupdate.exe as the culprit. The Windows Task Scheduler had this set to trigger at 8:32pm each day, and then every hour thereafter. Checked the crash dumps --> they were all time-stamped at 33 minutes past the hour EVERY HOUR. Disabled the task and disabled the two googleupdate services. Posting this at 2 in the morning, and my pc didn't crash at 01:33, so this just might work. Not sure why googleupdate was causing crashes, but pleased with the prospect of putting the GPU and good PSU back in and having a usable pc again.
TL;DR - check your crash dumps for a solution to your problem

Reahiggins

Commendable
May 10, 2016
I have had similar issues for years now, usually it's a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, sometimes it happens weekly, other times it will go a month and then blue screen, it's been rather infrequent lately but it just happened, leading me here.

I'm running an AMD Phenom x6, and ATX Radeon 6k series, so hardware couldn't be more different than others mentioned. I've run multiple chckdsks, I've checked memory, reformatted multiple times, and flashed bios. So at this point I'm leaning strongly towards this being a hardware issue, I have replaced the motherboard and harddrives but the issue still creeps up after some time, it's very hard to debug as it happens so infrequently. However I have noticed that it happens more frequently when playing games, this lead me to suspect the ram even though memory test was good so I tried running off just 2 sticks, and then the other 2 sticks, still the same issue.

I've also lost 2 hard drives in this time and I've had some strange issues with hard drives, I have an SSD now that has been solid for over two years, and have taken out all the HDDs as they've had issues.

So my last resort is to replace the PSU, I'm thinking this is the likely cause when putting everything together. I think it's giving inconsistant power and this would cause the hard drives to malfunction, and cause the multiple blue screens, and it's the only piece of hardware besides the processor that I haven't tried swapping out.

Can anyone tell me if this is a likely scenario at this point? and if it's worth it to invest in a new PSU to see if this goes away?