system_thread_exception_not_handled (igdkmd64.sys) BSOD on update

Apr 16, 2017
So I've been having an extremely frustrating BSOD upon trying to use the Windows Updater, described in the title. This has been a persistent problem for several months, and now that several new W10 builds have been released (updates to new builds fail as well), I want to do something about it. A quick google told me that the problem was due to the Intel integrated graphics (HD 4000 for an i5-3570k). A more elaborate googling session has led me to try several fixes to no avail. Here's what I've tried so far:

■Uninstalling all graphics drivers. I have a dedicated AMD GPU, so maybe those drivers were conflicting with Intel's. I downloaded the Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller and purged both AMD and Intel display drivers from my system. BSOD on update persisted.

■Using Intel's tools to manually update drivers. By all accounts, these tools seemed to do their jobs, but Windows update still seemed to think they needed an update. BSOD again. Interestingly, if I use the Device Manager to update from the internet, I get the same BSOD, confirming that the Intel drivers are the problem.

■Update my BIOS. I'm using an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, and one of the many things I came across in my hours of googling is that newer versions of the BIOS play better with Intel integrated graphics. It was a pain, but the BIOS update was successful. However, the BSOD during update persisted. At least I got a better BIOS splash screen out of the deal.

■Blocking the updater from updating these drivers. This seemed like the ideal solution, since I really don't need the integrated graphics in the first place, and Microsoft has their own tool for doing exactly what I want. Unfortunately, it flat-out doesn't work. The tool lists the HD 4000 update, I check the box to have it be hidden from the updater, but it doesn't get hidden. Running the tool a second time shows it as not hidden, and the Updater still BSODs. Interestingly, this is the only update on the list for which this happens.

I'm at my wits' end. I'm afraid to do something as drastic as wiping my hard drive and starting with a clean install, because the problem might persist and I'd have deleted everything for no reason. Oh, and it might help to mention that this was originally a Windows 7 install that was upgraded to 10 on its release.

Solution
I would do a clean install of Win10 CU. Get rid of the junk.

And sometimes it's better if you do, if you upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10

Sometimes previous drivers for Win7 or 8 dont behave in Win10 if you do an upgrade

Win10 CU is fussy with drivers as well

Apr 16, 2017

I would love to just have AMD drivers, but when I try to update through Windows updater or upgrade to Anniversary/Creators' update of W10, Windows feels the need to try and update the integrated graphics. I cannot block this, even using Microsoft's own tool, as I described in my 5th paragraph.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you ever fresh installed win 10 or still running the upgrade?

You could try a reset, it only effects C drive so if you have all your data on another drive it won't be effected. Still means reinstalling all your programs but should fix the strangeness you have now as it wipes all the drivers and forces you to start again.

Is igpu disabled in bios?

Apr 16, 2017
I have not done a fresh install of W10; I'm still running the upgrade.

I tried a reset, but I get a "could not find recovery environment" error. A quick google told me to create a recovery drive, so I tried to make one, following this guide. This failed as well, giving a "we can't create a recovery drive on this pc, some required files are missing" error. Another google led me here. Fix #1 did not work, despite the command prompt saying that it fixed things. Fix #2 was "get a bigger flash drive," but mine was 64 Gb, so I doubt that's the problem. Fix #3 didn't seem to work either; I couldn't boot from the install drive. It seems I've exhausted all my options in the "reset" vein, to no avail.

I went through all my bios settings and couldn't find an option to disable the igpu. I can select a "Primary Graphics Adapter," which is set to "PCI Express." I can't explicitly disable the igpu, but I'm definitely telling it to choose the graphics card.

I also tried removing the graphics card entirely and running off integrated graphics; there seemed to be no problems with the existing drivers. The crash occurs while updating, so the issue has something to do with either the process of switching drivers or with the newer version of the drivers.

I would do a clean install of Win10 CU. Get rid of the junk.

And sometimes it's better if you do, if you upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10

Sometimes previous drivers for Win7 or 8 dont behave in Win10 if you do an upgrade

Win10 CU is fussy with drivers as well

Solution
Apr 16, 2017

Yeah, I should have just done this earlier. A fresh install of CU seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the assistance.