T bird Runs Slow

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here, but I've ran into a problem with Photoshop 6.0 running verrrrry slow with the following system:

Tbird 900
Asus A7V133
Asus A7100 vid card Geforce2 32MB (not ddr)
Soundblaster live
Western Dig. 20gig ATA100 Hard drive
256 MB corsair PC133 ram

I'm a little scared to update the BIOS, but I'm willing to try. Is it really as simple as going to the Asus web site and selecting the A7V133 BIOS update? That was the only one I remember seeing and I've heard horrendous things about selecting the wrong one.

Any other thoughts for Photoshop running slow?

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is more likely something with your VIA 4-in-1 drivers. Which version are you running?

T-Bird 800Mhz
2X IBM 75GXP 30GB in RAID0 config
Geforce2 32MB
SB Live

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah, flashing the bios can KILL your mobo if the process is interrupted in the middle or you flash the wrong version. Usially you have to download the flash to a bootable floppy and restart the system w/ the floppy and run the flash program. That's probably not the problem though anyway. Make sure VIA drivers are current and nvidia drivers are current.

Wherever you go, there you are.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a shot in the dark here but...photoshop is ram intensive. what ram timings do you have it set to? did you enable 4-way interleave (i don't have personla experience with the asus bios so i don't know if you have to select this setting)? try using sandra2001 and check ram performance.

G

Its not ur Proessor running slow u moron!
its ur setup somewhere
#1 flash the bios, its not HARD
just do exactly what it says and u will be fine i just flashed mine easy as pie.

Other then that go thru ur BIOS (cmos) settings and go thru ur manual and make sure they are all set properly..
Then FORMAT
install everything fresh
Then install all ur drivers with the newest ones, then install Direct x 8, and Ur Motherboard Utilities like the Via 4in 1 , it has the Busmastering which increases performance..

other then that..
Make sure u have latest drivers, newest bios and u should be fine.

G

I have to agree dhlucke. Seems like I would check the video drivers and directX first to make sure everything is up to date. The detonator 3 video drivers by nvidia will make a big difference in your performance. Also check your bios to verify that your ram is running at 133 mHz.

G

Flashing a bios is so damn easy!!!
Boot to dos
type the name of the flash file say FlashAward
then it will tell u what to type the name of the new file say tis called newbios.123

flashaward newbios.123
EASY AS PIE!!!

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
It's starting to sound like it's the Via 4in1 drivers (which I haven't updated). Other than Photoshop 6.0 it was running fine so I didn't download the latest. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
"EASY AS PIE" until there's a power glitch in the middle of the load process and you're left with half a bios flash and an unbootable mobo. Sound unrealistic? I hope he doesn't live in California!! Really, unless he's absolutely sure the bios flash is the answer, why bother?

Wherever you go, there you are.

G

I flashed my bios with the wrong one
there are safety precautions one new motherboards u know
if a error is detected it will tell u and loa the dafaults.

Anyway more bio's these days are removable
popit out buy a new one
anyway it takes under 1 min to flash it
and it improves system performance overall a ton my did on every pc i had

its soo easy
like overclocking, its easyyy....
sure it has its risks, but if someone goes wrong, set it back the way it was
no worries
lol
geeze u all need some adavan!

G

wow..
Well
How do we call it?
FLASH-THE-BIOS disease? or ...madness?

I've flashed BIOSes since 486's, and I can say: NEWER DO IT BECAUSE OF THE NEW VERSION! Do it when U need it! Too often the newest version solves the problems U don't have...

Think before.. ..it's handy sometimes. I know thinking can be painful if U are not familiar with it, but when U get the hang of it, U'll like it!

<i> And they said schizophrenia is annoying?

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
OK, a little completion, resolution, here. The BIOS is currently from the 1-5-01 release (according to the software). I've updated the VIA drivers and it worked.
Photoshop 6.0 is now running as fast as the earlier versions.

Thanks, everyone for the help.