T-bird users, watch your temperatures!!!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I've seen a few (very few) acounts of people frying their T-bird chips due to "fan failures." For whatever reason, AMD chose not to include thermal shutoff circuitry in their Thunderbird CPU. This is a perfectly workable situation, as pretty much any AMD motherboard has system monitor hardware.

All you have to do is <i>use the hardware.</i> This is not hard. Go get yourself a copy of <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A>. Install it, learn it, love it. Then get yourself a copy of <A HREF="http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm" target="_new">Shutdown NOW!</A> (and a copy of <A HREF="http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm" target="_new">NT PowerDown</A> if you're running NT4). Take a few hours to set all that up. Together, they can shut an ATX system off if its state (temperature, fan RPM, etc) starts to go out of a specified range.

Be sure to register NT PowerDown and Shutdown NOW!, else they will cease to work without intervention after the trial period is over. You want them to work automatically without you even needing to be there.

Take the whole thing through a few dry runs, just to make sure it works.

If you can't get any of this to work, use the health settings in your BIOS to do it. This is even easier (though it won't shut down your O/S cleanly).

Try to do this, and it may save your CPU some day. If you see this post, and you don't give it an honest effort, then it's on your head. I'll be perfectly willing to help people set up Motherboard Monitor et al.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
To AmdMeltdown:
I already circumvented their "thermo feature."

To the More Intelligent Forum Population:
If you happen to be running Linux, khealthcare works great. It can be found on <A HREF="http://freshmeat.net/" target="_new">FreshMeat</A>.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"hahahaha!!!! it's futile to circumvent AMD's thermo feature."

Your experience does not speak for everyone. Most people have an IQ above 89.9.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ja, it does (unless you *cough*ahem*cough*crack*it*cough*hack*--but I won't be responsible for you doing <i>that</i> :wink: ). Another alternative--though I haven't tried this--is to use the shutdown.exe command that comes with WinBench99. Yet another for Win9x/ME--call the ExitWindows() function directly using rundll32. I haven't booted to Windows in a while, but I believe the command is:

rundll32.exe user.dll,ExitWindows

Primitive Windoze hax0ring. You may have to give the full path for user.dll.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Its really sad when your IQ is less than your refresh rate, eh, Mel[t]down?

what? are you speaking from experience? don't be sad be glad at least you've saved a bundle! :smile:

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Your experience does not speak for everyone. Most people have an IQ above 89.9

I highly doubt that, look at youself for an example. and what's your excuse?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, most AMD pups here are runing ME lol, and the power users run win98 or vice-versa, so there goes your ass-umption!

also, you'll never circumvent AMD's "thermo feature" because there is none, fool!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Read more carefully. The ExitWindows() function call shuts the system down in Win9x/ME. So, by your "ass-ertion," most AMD users can use it just fine.

In WinNT/2K, it still works, but it only logs the user out--it doesn't shut the system down.

Speaking of which, I doubt you have the diligence or the math abilities to maintain a poll of what operating systems AMD users are running. There happens to be more than ten of each category--or more than 20, if you're planning to count with your shoes off. :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think its funny that meltdown uses 3 seperate posts to try and come up with comebacks at 3 different jokes directed at him. thats what i call a pathetic attempt to increase your post count.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You dont need an IQ of 89. Anybody with a IQ more than 1 would know AmdMeltdown just talks crap!

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Where can I get a crack of it? Hehe, that sounds funny.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
*ahem*cough*<A HREF="http://www.astalavista.com/" target="_new">AstaLaVista</A>*hack*cough*BELCH*--ah, pardon me.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
For KHealthCare to be able to shut down a Linux system properly, you must:

1) have APM or ACPI enabled and working in the kernel.
2) either run KHealthCare as root or make the shutdown command suid root. KHealthCare can't shut down the system if you don't do this.

Also, do not open two instances of KHealthCare at once. If you do, it seems to cease tracking system state. You may end up having to re-initialize certain kernel drivers to get KHealthCare to work again.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1