T-Bred, when?

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
maybe i am blind, but i hear no news, or even rumours about a specific release date for the Thouroughbred... i hear, 1st Quarter 2002... well we are now almost 1/3 through the first quarter, and i hear nothing? If anyone wants to speculate, or has facts...
because i need a new computer in the next month, and could possibly hold out a few extra weeks...

Also, what is with the naming of processors after horse breeds? (Thouroughbred, Appaloosa) maybe someone should tell them that an appaloosa isn't exactly a spedious horse...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
Refer my <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"> link </A>

Monday March 18th

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
thanks... where did you hear that?
that is a ways off...
i have now seen a few places saying it won't be until Q2... ahh well, looks like an XP for me...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~where did you hear that?~

German friends in the know. It'll be announced then as they have made arrangements but who knows when you will actually be able to get your hands on one retail. AMD did intimate they are building stocks out of Dresden now (I assume the 0.13 production is for the T-Bred and not some mystery product), and AMD usually only annouce when they can meet reasonable delivery.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i am sure they will be Socket A, although you will probably want a "newish" motherboard and the latest bios update... these new chipsets (VIAs KT333, KT333A , meh VIA) will probably be standard fare when it finally comes out...

maybe i will get the 1600+ (XP) and spend some real moola and slide a new Race-Horse in there a couple months from now...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
these new chipsets (VIAs KT333, KT333A , meh VIA) will probably be standard fare when it finally comes out...
Or the Ali Magik1 (rev.C) on the IWill XP333!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
Or the Ali Magik1 (rev.C) on the IWill XP333!
which would be the board i am buying this week... :smile:

the pics i have seen show the die size being of smaller area... this won't be a problem at stock speeds in the .13 cycle, but could it cause lower head room for overclockers due to smaller area for thermal transfer? or am i off my rocker? :eek:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I think the decrease in heat produced will more than make up for the loss of area for heat transfer.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
ok, but still will this not effect the ability to overclock to extremes?

i was just thinking about the t-bred's performance in a test like the recent 3GHz+ Northwood... by thg... (and others) but i don't want to bring that discusion here...

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
ok, but still will this not effect the ability to overclock to extremes?

Yes, but I've still got my fingers crossed hoping it will have a heat spreader (perhaps that's just wishful thinking :lol: ).
AMD plan to decrease their die size over time, which means that they are going to need a heat spreader more and more. It's only a matter of time before they give us one.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I can't wait to see how well the Throughbred will overclock !

Intel needs to get a 2.53GHz Northwood B ready to launch at that time if they want to keep the performance-crown.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~any idea what the delay is all about?~

What delay, when Athlon had a performance lead on P4 Intel announced a couple of processors without having any stock built up, but this is not standard practice. What they are doing now (building stock) is normal, it also allows the big PC/Mobo manufacturers to have testing time.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
They delay CPU and chips ALL THE TIME!
For example, Intel's Itanium 64 it was anounced in 2000 but now it's been 2 years and still NOTHING!
huh? The Itanium has been out for a long long time. Where have you been?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Look it up at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">Price Watch</A>, you can buy a 733Mhz Itanium for a mere $2677. :tongue:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Well, you can buy a 148 400mhz Pentium 2 Xeon CPUs for the same amount of money. :wink:
At $18 each, how could I not buy one?! :lol:

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by somerandomguy on 01/19/02 07:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Not only that, but rumor has it that AMD is planning to release an AtlonXP 2200+ on the .18u core, running at 1.8GHz. Expect it to be a hot running chip though, perhaps 8-9% warmer than the T-bird 1.4Ghz (based on my own relative wattage estimates). I estimate that will be here sometime in February...

...which means that Intel may have to step up the launch of the Northwood 2.4 (due in April). Either that or pass over the speed crown they were just beginning to wear.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
THREAD TITLE: T-BRED DIE SIZE

QUOTE FROM PHELK:
----------------------------------------------
Doing some quick calculations...

Take the palomino core and shrink it from 180nm to 130nm would make the die 52% in size. However the T-Bred die is actually 62.5% which makes room for 20% more of 'something'.

Seeing the Athlon core is quite mature (since the 'C' and Palomino enhancements) then one could well assume that the 'something' is additonal cache!
----------------------------------------------

MY REPLY:
I do believe Throughbred will bring AMD back on top of Intel making you think twice about Northwood.

I think AMD have deliberately stalled the launch of Throughbred until April-May 2002, because they are still tweaking parts of the processor to make sure it remains competitive with the Intels Northwood. However I think we <b>will</b> see an increased cache and slightly more refined design.

<b>You can find a picture of an engineering sample of Throughbred <A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/etc/2001q4/comdex/index.x?pg=1" target="_new"><font color=red>here</font color=red></A></b>

Notice how the Throughbred core is <i>rectangular</i> instead of square like the Athlon C and Palamino ? I believe this might be due to more cache or improved design. My only concern is that the picture clearly shows the throughbred does not have a heat spreader. I only hope AMD include one when they finally release it.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
true :smile:
i don't know i am just impatient... i just have the feeling they are holding back... i was wondering if it was an accounting/marketing thing... or just production... meh, i won't be getting one... well not unless my XP "explodes" hopefully my next will be CLAWhammer!!! (play old cartoon evil music)