T-Mobile CEO Angry With People Who 'Steal' From Carrier's 'Unlimited' Data Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonjujo

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Sounds like someone is angry over the fact they can't use their phone service provider as an Internet service provider.

tigermyth

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Total garbage article. He isn't talking about normal data. He is talking about limits on tethering and people who abuse tethering allowing upwards of 2,000GB per month.

thehritzinator

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
According to their statement on Twitter, I believe, they said people are using up to 2 TERABYTES of data a month. This isn't "just going passed the data caps", they are going against the ToS and manipulating the code to use for tethering, and they MUST be tethering and letting multiple people use their network. What could ONE person use 2TB of data A MONTH for?

The point T-Mobile is making is that when you have unlimited data, you have to follow the ToS. 21GB is basically unreachable on a mobile connection, with how readily available wi-fi is EVERYWHERE.

TL;DR - Get an ISP for your PC, don't try to use your MOBILE network for it

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Thieves, abusers, hackers... that is a lot of name calling for people who pay for a service that is advertised as being "unlimited". I actually think that people who are using the service to their full advantage that they are paying actually intelligent and smart people. There is nothing wrong in trying to save money. It is T-Mobile that is in the wrong - selling an unlimited service that is not actually unlimited.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
When i got my first smartphone i got unlimited data and i regularly used 5GB-6GB a month. When my contract run out and i got a new phone the unlimited plan was discontinued and i had to use a 2 GB plan.

When faced with a limit i made sure i used Wi-Fi whenever i could, i found out that my cable provider offered thousands of free WiFi spots and that i could walk home from the train and actually use their WiFi all the way until i reach my home.

When faced with a limit people start acting differently, they make sure they never cross their limit.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
When i got my first smartphone i got unlimited data and i regularly used 5GB-6GB a month. When my contract run out and i got a new phone the unlimited plan was discontinued and i had to use a 2 GB plan.

When faced with a limit i made sure i used Wi-Fi whenever i could, i found out that my cable provider offered thousands of free WiFi spots and that i could walk home from the train and actually use their WiFi all the way until i reach my home.

When faced with a limit people start acting differently, they make sure they never cross their limit.

I should have added that i never once crossed the 2GB limit.

floppyedonkey

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014

Cookie to u mr limitied, point is unlimited plans need to change their name.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Total garbage article. He isn't talking about normal data. He is talking about limits on tethering and people who abuse tethering allowing upwards of 2,000GB per month.

But you see the issue, don't you? People pay for an unlimited plan. The phones can tether. People tether their phones to their laptops to get secure Internet access. And they use it heavily.

And then they're stealing?

robert27

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I don't comment on many articles, but this one needs to be flagged as op-ed. Lucian Armasu is your edited for language sore or something? There are real limits to smartphone mobile hotspot usage in the rate plan. This step is taken against those people who circumvent these limits. As for the 21GB limit for high speed consumption, this only applies to people who are connected to a congested cell tower.

whiteruski

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
This is why I refuse to pay for data and carry two separate phones (dumb phone, and wifi only smart phone). It also seems like prices for data have not changed for the past several years. Not doing it...

I think lack of competition for cellular and for cable access to internet is BS and it bothers me to no end. This kind of behavior by telecom companies will probably continue and we will all probably continue to get screwed...

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'm a T-Mobile customer and it states pretty blatantly that you only have so much tethering data allowed.

I've never had a problem with them enforcing traditional caps - and have used 25GB+ during some of my cross country - streaming music and YouTube audio while driving. For what you pay, you get a pretty good deal with pretty much unlimited everything - so long as you are in an area with good service.

I'm confused that people are legitimately of the mindset "Unlimited means unlimited everything, even if on your account page it shows that you have a 7GB limit for tethering and shows how much of it you've used."

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I got the same issue when I paid for a unlimited dial-up connection with another company many year ago.
"Unlimited" mean to them that I can't use it 24h/7day. Actually it's mean to them that - I can't use it for more than 8h a day. That's even close to an unlimited plan!
We got an agreement that they cancel the contract and I got all my money back from 1 year in the past.
They cannot offer something that they downgrade after.

So if it's unlimited... it's unlimited! There no such thing as abuser. There is not maximum data that you can use with a cellular. They just shouldn't sell "unlimited" in the first place! if they can't handle their own word.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

In most cases this is true. Unfortunately there are still places that don't have wireless everywhere and there are still some rural places without good high-speed access. I have a feeling that a good portion of these abusers are people that are using the "unlimited" plans to as their only internet access in remote areas (as long as they still have good cell coverage).

In cities with good wifi coverage this really is a non-issue but that is just one scenario.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
@larrylitmanen that's a very FUDS additude to take on this. "Oh the man is right I don't need to keep my contract."

T-Mobile advertises their service as unlimited. Which it is, for phone data used by their phones. The tethering is limited to a rather generous 7gigs a month. But that's not unlimited.

What's worse is their rabbid, Stallin-esque, CEO is flat insulting people that took exception to the fine print. That's twice now in August hes gone after things that could potentially make his company look bad in a very childish manner.

Paul_Deemer

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
There is No True Unlimited any more even on ISPs. So they should stop using that phrase for all time. On a broadband Internet provider you can use a couple hundred gigs before they start sending you warning letters. I can binge watch a ton of my favorite shows and movies on Netflix in HD and not go over 150 gig on Charter Communications. If your using 500 gig a month or more your either streaming 4k video or downloading a ton of files off The Pirate Bay. Mobile isn't designed for this. The Phone Networks have a right to crack down on abusers of their Networks. The abusers can and should be put out to pasture and Good Riddance. Hasta LA Vista and don't let the door hit you on the way out. (SLAM!!!)

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I don't comment on many articles, but this one needs to be flagged as op-ed. Lucian Armasu is your butthole sore or something? There are real limits to smartphone mobile hotspot usage in the rate plan. This step is taken against those people who circumvent these limits. As for the 21GB limit for high speed consumption, this only applies to people who are connected to a congested cell tower.

Not only do I not comment, I don't log in. I logged in two or three weeks ago to verify my email under the delusion I might be more active (excluding this post, sadly I won't be) but before that it had been years. However, I am with you. This *trash* article deserves special attention.

Now that I've down voted all the morons who couldn't read the original blog post and tried to save all the sane people in negative-point-land, I will take my leave.

Wherein I will be so confused by the lack of transparency with my wireless plan that I will root my phone and install a proxy FOR FUN, and because I've been victimized and am CONFUSED.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
In the same vein: when a user does not use their unlimited plan to its "full" capacity, and T-mobile does not reimburse that service unused, is T-mobile then the thief? It's funny how the carriers in the US seem to have no responsibility; they offer a service that may or may not be available at certain speeds or at all, and yet, when it is available, they limit its use with little to no justification.

Arthur3rd

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I will be glad when some Smart auntrapinure comes up with a solution to this elephant in the room problem and everyone can drop Tmobile and never have to hear from that anal orofice again!!! I'll bey he does'nt sniver about collecting the 200 plus dollars per month from those same customers.

dragonjujo

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
It's like people here aren't even aware of the fact that T-mo's unlimited data plan used to come with a whopping 250 MB of tethering just a few years ago. T-mo is selling a service for a cellular phone, not for your laptop. They have a separate plan for your laptop called tethering or mobile hot-spot. My god it's amazing the kinds of rationalizations people will work through to justify their actions.

goodnightmare_

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
un·lim·it·ed (ənˈlimidəd/); adjective
Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

Based on the definition, this is the "unlimited" plan that never was.

gbhemlock

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Lets see, 247 million in net income in 2014 up from 7 billion loss 2 years ago and with 55 million customers and he is angry over 3000 customers? Let us see some financial data on what those 3000 cost the company otherwise I don't understand what going public over this is supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.