News T-Mobile Home Internet Was Great, Until My Service Died And the Company Couldn’t Fix It

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
If tmobile is incredibly good and you get issues that customer service refuses to answer and quite possibly doesn't even know best way to handle these things is a complaint to the better business bureau aka bbb

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
To the BBB report, I would also send one to the FCC, couldn't hurt. They are all acting like utilities and need to be regulated like a utility. Of course I am including ATT, Comcast/Xfinity et.al. in that idea, at least their internet services. I will add that I have had ATT 1gb Fiber for over 2 years and couldn't be happier. I pay 69.99 per month with no data cap and no equipment rental fee for their Gateway, plus at least for now getting free HBO Max ( following the sale of Waner Media to Discovery I have been waiting for that other shoe to drop ). Next month it is going up $5 month, but still not bad for 940mb up and down.

Reactions: dalef

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
T-Mobile fulfilled its promise of fast speeds and attractive pricing, but the service died after two weeks.

T-Mobile Home Internet Was Great, Until My Service Died And the Company Couldn’t Fix It : Read more
its weird that other people couldnt even get reconnected with new hardware. like they were geolocked out. and the tower upgrade thing is pure crap. thats just something theyre telling people to get them off the line. i was about to switch to tmhi because im tired of paying spectrum 70$ a month. but thankfully theyre running fiber in my front yard right now. gig for the same price i was paying for 200 from spectrum. and they knew i was getting fiber soon because they just upped my speed to 300 just on monday. our town allowed spectrum a monopoly and you have no options really unless you want much slower centurylink.

Reactions: dalef and bigdragon

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I doubt that the "tower upgrade" story was true. But if it were, when a company knows for a fact that they are about to do some kind of scheduled upgrade that will leave customers without internet access for days at a time, how can they fail to inform their customers in advance? That customer service rep would have had a lot of explaining to do if I got that excuse. Asking for forgiveness rather than permission only works up to a certain point. As a side note, I like wireless things inside my house, but connecting to the outside world? Wires for me please, and lots of them.

subdivisions

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
This is a wake up call and very informative.. (I Tweeted the author the same words).. My father in law lives in Zebulon NC, about 30 miles east of Raleigh.. His ONLY internet option is Bell South DSL 6/512K for $65 a month, which is Nauseatingly insane. I have looked (and Tried) to get Tmobile 5G home net there for a year now, even tho the tmobile signal there is great, they say its Not available (Yet). The other thing is Starlink. But he doesnt use the net for more then Youtube videos and email. So paying $599 for the install of starlink and $120 a month is too much (he lives alone). The Mobvile sounded too good to be true. This shows the pitfalls of their network. Im all the way up on Long Island, so i cant go there and troubleshoot it etc, we go there once or twice a year for a week and i have to work remote (IT work) and using that DSL, i instead tether to my verizon cell phone..

Nutty how people still cant get high speed access worth a squat of pee at all in rural areas.

it could be a few things that have added up to one big bug. the home 5g units themself could be made in more then one plant have more then one firmware floating on them. they may be pushing a firmware that bricking there own units. The other issue is are they pulling or were using that bad chineese 5g hardware that now banned in the us. and the errors are from they bad hardware bricking there units or hackers.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
This is a wake up call and very informative.. (I Tweeted the author the same words).. My father in law lives in Zebulon NC, about 30 miles east of Raleigh.. His ONLY internet option is Bell South DSL 6/512K for $65 a month, which is Nauseatingly insane. I have looked (and Tried) to get Tmobile 5G home net there for a year now, even tho the tmobile signal there is great, they say its Not available (Yet). The other thing is Starlink. But he doesnt use the net for more then Youtube videos and email. So paying $599 for the install of starlink and $120 a month is too much (he lives alone). The Mobvile sounded too good to be true. This shows the pitfalls of their network. Im all the way up on Long Island, so i cant go there and troubleshoot it etc, we go there once or twice a year for a week and i have to work remote (IT work) and using that DSL, i instead tether to my verizon cell phone..

Nutty how people still cant get high speed access worth a squat of pee at all in rural areas.

5G uses a lot of different bands, most of your phones support those bands, however it's hard to say if this device does. It sound like a long shot to me too, but it's not impossible.

agentnathan009

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I work for a company that services cell towers for all the major carriers. Sometimes we have to have full site outages to remove all old equipment plus the platform the old equipment was mounted on to put up a new platform and new equipment. Depending on the site conditions, a full site outage can last 1-3 days.

Being without internet is challenging nowadays when we are all used to it being a regular and necessary part of our lives for work and entertainment, but try to be understanding for those of us who are working on a 100’-300’ tower trying to swap out a lot of stuff as quickly and safely as possible so that you can have better service going forward.

Check out the photo link below and imagine the amount of work to completely remove one level of equipment and replace it. Think you can do it in 48 hours?

Cell tower

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I work for a company that services cell towers for all the major carriers. Sometimes we have to have full site outages to remove all old equipment plus the platform the old equipment was mounted on to put up a new platform and new equipment. Depending on the site conditions, a full site outage can last 1-3 days.

Being without internet is challenging nowadays when we are all used to it being a regular and necessary part of our lives for work and entertainment, but try to be understanding for those of us who are working on a 100’-300’ tower trying to swap out a lot of stuff as quickly and safely as possible so that you can have better service going forward.

Check out the photo link below and imagine the amount of work to completely remove one level of equipment and replace it. Think you can do it in 48 hours?

Cell tower

I heard the old and lame excuse from AT&T each time we lost mobile signal (up to a week!!) about "tower upgrades" so many times the last 3 years, you'd think they have the best coverage on the planet by now!!

And yet, they still have the worst coverage (in my area) of any telecom, even the ones that are 1/100th the size of AT&T.
I am unable to make a call without AT&T piggybacking on my home WiFi! And yet, they just raised their rates by $6 for their amazing service!!

Contract expires in 2 months, good riddance.

Is it possible you violated data caps and they intentionally handicapped you?

They may label it as unlimited data, but you really need to read the fine print of what unlimited data means.

BTW: Two days is nothing. Frustrating yes. Especially with kids. But that's how it goes. While I realize your personal time is valuable for work, world doesn't end in two days time. I could go a month without service if I had to. My kids on the other hand...

Jul 20, 2022
5G consists of many bands. For T-Mobile, they have 2 classes of 5G bands. 5G XR (Extended Range) and 5G UC (Ultra Capacity)
Extended Range (XR) 5G
  • With Extended Range 5G, you’ll receive nationwide coverage, faster speeds than our 4G LTE and a reliable connection indoors and out from the big city to rural areas.
  • Frequencies that can provide XR 5G:
    • Band n71 (600 MHz)
  • Check out What is 5G? to learn how it works!
Ultra Capacity (UC) 5G
  • With Ultra Capacity 5G, you’ll experience a performance boost, a reliable connection in crowded locations, and speeds as fast as Wi-Fi.
  • Look for the newly released or icon on your iPhone or Android screen to know when you’re in an area with our fastest speeds!
  • Frequencies that can provide UC 5G:
    • Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
    • Band n258 (24 GHz)
    • Band n260 (39 GHz)
    • Band n261 (28 GHz)
The higher the frequency, the faster the theoretical maximum throughput.
I went on their site and compared their Internet disclosures between 5G phones and 5G home Internet. It was very interesting:

Mobile Wireless
5G Network (On-Device):
  • Download Speeds: Typically between 75 – 335 Mbps
  • Upload Speeds: Typically between 8 – 35 Mbps
  • Latency: Typically between 21 – 35 ms
5G Network (Wireless Home Internet, Wireless Small Business Internet):
  • Download Speeds: Typically between 33 – 182 Mbps
  • Upload Speeds: Typically between 8 – 25 Mbps
  • Latency: Typically between 21 – 40 ms

This is telling me the Wireless Home Internet device is not using the same bands as their phones are. Earlier in the T-Mobile Webpage, they discuss network prioritization. Couple that with another statement on their website that states if you move, you have to call them and give them your new address or they cannot guarantee service. That indicates to me that not all of their towers are set up for wireless home internet.

I cannot locate a spec sheet on the 5G home gateway that indicates the bands it runs off of. I'm not sure if the device is locked to specific bands and if the SIM is classified as a home device vs a mobile device. A test I would be curious to try if I had T-Mobile home internet and phone service is to swap the SIM from the phone into the home gateway and see if it connects and if the speeds differ.

Lots to consider here. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I suspect one day, many of us will receive our home internet via cellular technology.

Jul 20, 2022
I would never trust a cellular connection, plus spectrum has gig service I have 1gbit/40mbit they have been rock solid for as long as I can remember.
Cellular has a lot of moving parts (so to speak). Ever notice the Cell towers in the mountains have the cell antennas and the microwave round dishes 1/2 way up the tower? That's because the cell tower located in the desolate mountain spot doesn't have its own copper or fiber internet connection to pass on cell traffic to the net. The microwave dishes relay the data from the cell tower to another cell tower with a hard line to it (or an intermediate MSU that has a data feed).
Also, if you find yourself at an amusement park, notice how slow the data speeds are. That is because the high saturation of cell users off of a single (or pair) of towers overwhelms the data connection. Uploading the selfies while in line at Disneyland slows everything down and can force your phone to expend more power to get data moving.

Cellular is great when you can't have a wire. Being in the middle of nowhere limits your choices to Starwave, cellular, or possibly traditional DSL. (DSL can extend 18000 yards from the POP).
Maybe one day, satellite service will help. Unfortunately the trip to a geo sync satellite results in significant lag. (It takes time to travel 22500 miles to a geo sync satellite).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it was suspended by them and others due to the pandemic. but everyone is planning on bringing them back next year and they were there for many many years before the pandemic hit.

but hey if it helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead and pretend they don't exist :)

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
it was suspended by them and others due to the pandemic. but everyone is planning on bringing them back next year and they were there for many many years before the pandemic hit.

but hey if it helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead and pretend they don't exist :)
Actually the pandemic had nothing to do with it-it was part of the terms of the Charter/Time-Warner merger. Spectrum did petition to bring back caps earlier than allowed(surprise!) but dropped it.
https://stopthecap.com/tag/time-war...FCC imposed a seven,Sources tell Stop the Cap!
And of course they will bring back caps when they can. With everyone dropping their standard tv service companies like spectrum and xfinity have to make up the lost revenue somewhere.How much data will be consumed by your ten foot tv when everything is in 4k?

Reactions: dalef and Kahless01

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

If it helps keep you in the dark you can continue to make crap up instead of verifying it. Spectrum has never had them, it was a restriction they signed with the FCC when they merged with TimeWarner Cable.

Aug 24, 2022
I made an account to comment on this.
I work for T-Mobile at one of the call centers, so I take calls all day about HSI. However, I'm NOT acting as a T-Mobile rep with this post.

I'm not sure where anyone said we don't prioritize data speeds, we do. It's right on the website we prioritize during high stress periods.

Also, when I look at the signal strength in our systems, it'll tell me if they're working on the towers and sometimes it'll give time expectations and sometimes it won't. The tower engineer teams sometimes don't have an ETA if it's day 1 of an issue.

Modernization is sometime they do all the time, it's pre-scheduled out but 90% of customers don't notice the effects. They don't send texts because it doesn't typically cause massive issues.

Also, we aren't allowed to talk to customers about de-prioritization, there's a big old red label that pops up in system to warn us against it. Having said that, I'll tell customers sometimes anyway because I don't like avoiding the truth. I usually try to get them an upgrade to Magenta Max so they can avoid prioritization altogether, if I think it's right for them.

Now, I don't really recommend the HSI to anyone unless their signal strength with their phones is great at home because while they use different bandwidths, it's still a good indicator for expected service levels.

Now having said all that, I think once they get all the towers upgraded for HSI and they start getting a better idea about local levels of demand, I feel like they'll take away the prioritization with a HSI deluxe service like MAX.

Again, I'm off the clock with this post, I'm not being paid to post this. (It'd look a lot different if I was.)

Also, I use Xfinity and I get regular non-schduled service interruptions all the time. Lasts 6 -8 hours sometimes and I'm paying $150 for no cap, no prioritized 600MBPS. So... just saying lol.

agentnathan009

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I heard the old and lame excuse from AT&T each time we lost mobile signal (up to a week!!) about "tower upgrades" so many times the last 3 years, you'd think they have the best coverage on the planet by now!!

And yet, they still have the worst coverage (in my area) of any telecom, even the ones that are 1/100th the size of AT&T.
I am unable to make a call without AT&T piggybacking on my home WiFi! And yet, they just raised their rates by $6 for their amazing service!!

Contract expires in 2 months, good riddance.

There are other factors besides tower upgrades. Copper theft is a problem. Some thieves resort to stealing the cabling that carry data between the Baseband in the shelter and the antennas/radios on the tower. Those cannot be replaced that quickly. I have heard of other crews mistakenly removing the wrong equipment (live and active equipment) from the tower. I personally know of coworkers that cut the wrong cabling (another cell carriers cabling) while decommissioning a different carriers equipment. Just yesterday with AT&T I was in a populated area of MD and had no cell service all morning and after lunch regained cell service. I had a coworker who accidentally knocked the backhaul Cat6 (retention tab was broken) for T-Mobile out of a beige box while plugging in a drop cord, nobody noticed or was aware that the site we were working on was down nearby all day until T-Mobile called me and asked why the site was down. I had no idea what had happened. Started frantically checking equipment in the cabinet to figure out what happened (Baseband power cable came loose, PDU button for router accidentally pushed causing loss of power, etc). Even a T-Mobile tech stopped by to look into the unintended site outage. Then we found the backhaul cable had been knocked out of the little beige box. Plugged that bag in and the site was back on air after router reestablished connection.

I say all that because “tower upgrade” might be used as a catch all phrase but nearly all of the time the person that you talk to has no idea why, unless it is a major system outage that they might have been made aware of. However, all the stuff detailed above they will have no idea about and will never know about precisely why you are experiencing an outage.

Aug 25, 2022
this could have been written by me... over 10 hours on the phone with customer service and their "tech team," three different devices, 48 hour tower outage (i live about one mile away from two towers) and absolutely no consistent coverage... i will give this inconsistency a few more days, hoping that after three weeks the system "settles down" and then crawl back to fios... good bye to all the savings, hello to working internet... fios must be so proud...

Reactions: PEnns and dalef

Armbrust11

Prominent
Jul 19, 2022
The author should have requested a 4G modem to troubleshoot the issue. Invite only customers initially got 4g modems for their home internet, and I've read somewhere that they are much better quality devices (with better reliability). They also have batteries in them which is super handy when the power goes out (not sure if the 5g models have a battery too).

Status
Not open for further replies.