T-Mobile, MetroPCS Does Throttle-Free Unlimited 4G Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I dunno, maybe I just don't use my phone that much but I've never even hit my 2GB limit on 4G. I have an "unlimited" plan that I know will down-throttle, but it's no big deal. Looks like I would have to pay $10 more for a truly unlimited 4G plan, no thanks.

I can't really imagine needing that much data unless you are tethering or streaming video/music all day long. If that's the case, maybe get off your damn phone for awhile everyday :)

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Not to mention, even the 4G speeds can be shit at times. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to stream a youtube video or just load Instagram when my phone is reporting a "4G" connection, and the shit is still slow as hell.

4G != Always fast internet

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I dunno, maybe I just don't use my phone that much but I've never even hit my 2GB limit on 4G. I have an "unlimited" plan that I know will down-throttle, but it's no big deal. Looks like I would have to pay $10 more for a truly unlimited 4G plan, no thanks. I can't really imagine needing that much data unless you are tethering or streaming video/music all day long. If that's the case, maybe get off your damn phone for awhile everyday[/citation]

depends hwo you look at it, i stream pandora watch youtube videos, stream netflix and am constantly swapping data between my home pc and phone when i need certain pdf files or excel files for work. using sprint and thanks to unlimited data its ok as even though i use about 10-15 gigs a month but thanks to an unmited plan i am ok. my biggest month ever was the first month i got my galaxy nexus and i pulled down a little over 20 gigs sprint dind't send me any words or letters just listed my amount of data used on the next bill with the magical word "included"

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@g00fysmiley

You use a lot of data, lol. My bro is the same way, constantly streaming Pandora all-day and he goes over his plan all the time. I wouldn't mind an unlimited plan that I could tether with, but T-mobiles "4G" is just not fast enough most of the time.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I wish it were like this in Canada. We pay way too much for cellphones. I have unlimited texting/call display/voice mail and 500mb/mo and it's $65/mo with Bell Mobility.

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Lol I'm in Canada, unlimited talk, text, data w/ features $25 a month. 4gb throttle cap I don't hit it cuz I'm on a torch 9810 and it compresses it or I use wifi. Speeds are usually 3-5mbs download so not bad and coverage is increasing.

Reads like an ad but f rogers, bell, telus, fido, etc.

G

Data download and speed for ever evolving applications. Having a choice competing gives better product as well as service. Just drop att for sprints unlimited data plan, however my area does not have 4g. Verizion has 4g in my area , but do not have an unlimited data plan (prices are traditionally high also). All providers try to charge contracts like you are buying a car or house. The consumer have to dictate terms by shopping wisely in a free market (if we can say its free)!

G

T-Mobile is really irrelevant. I mean, you can't even get the iPhone with them, LOL! And they expect us to consider them a real carrier? That lumps them in the company of Cricket and Boost Mobile.

T-Mobile is just a value carrier masquerading as a marquee provider. No iPhone = no one cares. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

Sent from my iPhone

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]SUPERJOCK0000[/nom]T-Mobile is really irrelevant. I mean, you can't even get the iPhone with them, LOL![/citation]LOL, lots of people couldn't care less about the iPhone.

And uh, you can buy an iPhone and stick a T-mobile SIM in it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rexdale_punjabi[/nom]Lol I'm in Canada, unlimited talk, text, data w/ features $25 a month. 4gb throttle cap I don't hit it cuz I'm on a torch 9810 and it compresses it or I use wifi. Speeds are usually 3-5mbs download so not bad and coverage is increasing. Reads like an ad but f rogers, bell, telus, fido, etc.[/citation]Well you see, it's a little different for smartphone users...

:p

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]SUPERJOCK0000[/nom]T-Mobile is really irrelevant. I mean, you can't even get the iPhone with them, LOL! And they expect us to consider them a real carrier? That lumps them in the company of Cricket and Boost Mobile.T-Mobile is just a value carrier masquerading as a marquee provider. No iPhone = no one cares. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!Sent from my iPhone[/citation]

Get your facts right. T-Mobile is not some corner store outfit; it is a subsidiary of Germany's Telecom giant "Deutsche Telekom"; a spinoff from the German Postal Service. Hardly the kind of company to disappear tomorrow. I happen to have their service for a while now, after the usual disasters with AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and must say they are pretty ok. The billing is on target and they don't ah heck you all the time with crappy upgrade 'specials'.

As for the iPhone; who cares what the phone company offers. Just buy one if you need to impress your girlfriend.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]LOL, lots of people couldn't care less about the iPhone.And uh, you can buy an iPhone and stick a T-mobile SIM in it.[/citation]

This will be even more relevant once T-Mobile refarms HSPA+ into their 1900 PCS band. A few markets have already seen this begin to happen and they're shooting for "Most Major Markets" to be refarmed by year's end.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
A step in the right direction, especially considering the "share everything" plans that at&t and Verizon recently rolled out. However, still more expensive than I think cell phone service should be.

Or I'll put it another way--still not cheap enough to make me separate with Virgin Mobile, where I'm paying $25 for unlimited data and text, but only 300 talk minutes. Downside is VM started (allegedly) implementing throttling after 2.5GB of data usage. But still, $25/mo, and if you're in an area that gets proper coverage... But the downside is the limited handsets.

griz054

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The T-Mobile plan still requires an additional voice/text purchase that puts the total cost at $69.99 a month or higher. Solavei offers unlimited 4G text,talk and data using T-Mobile towers for $49 a month. They also pay you for sharing the plan with others http://49dollarcell.com

G

T-Mobile provides 14.4 M/bit in my area, maybe more. That is the fastest my phone supports. Seems fast enough to me. At $70 a month for unlimited data I might cancel my cable if I wasn't a gamer

G

NEWS FLASH: I JUST GOT THROTTLED ON METRO PCS UNLIMITED PLAN
they sent me a text saying that i'm in a 5% of users who use data excessively,durr...that was the whole point of getting unlimited data,SOO I COULD USE IT EXCESSIVELY.soo i go from a blazing 10 mbps down to 100 kbps slower than dial up,the worst part is there is no option available to restore my data speed,they told me i have to wait until my billing anniversary.they say it's unlimited phphph noo such thing,don't believe it.the worst part is with the service provided at ten megs a sec they can put at&t and other isp's out of business.and i'd be willing to pay more if it was truly unlimited especially if it means crossing off home internet service and it's mobile.instead of realizing the power they have they shit all over people by defrauding them and selling a lie.

G

theyfullofit:

Thanks for the comment, man. I just got their unlimited plan as well and was wondering if was truly "unlimited". However... let me ask you this... any idea just how much data you actually used? I mean... if it was like 7GB... that sucks. But if it was something like 25GB... well... let the rest of us know.

G

MetroPCS in NYC just throttled my data as well. The first month i had over 100gb. I had just moved to a new apt, and got the plan specifically because it was going to be a while before i could get TW to install, just after the Hurricane in NY. So i torrented my entire month's worth of tv/movies/games/music whatever.
Nothing happened that month. So i didn't even bother installing TW cable. Just kept my phone tethered.
This month, right after i hit 49gb, i got the 2 txts. I'm in the 5% and it's abnormal. Which is by and large a ridiculous thing to say. Someone will *always* be in the top 5%... but 5% of what? 1tb, or 100mb? I'm not surprised i'm in the top 5, but now i'm bugging them to give me some numbers. This is total shit to say 5% and that's that, with an unlimited plan... regardless of how much i've used.
I'd much rather have a fixed limit that i know i can work with, than this BS, because they can always say you're too high, with their own criteria, which is crap.
And don't even get me started on the fact that NYC 4g is caps at 4mbs... maybe. Or the fact that tethering is supposed to be supported, even including a tethering app on the phone... but i still need to change my browser' user agent to go anywhere but google.com. Oh... and god in heaven, the crappy phone selection they have. All in all, it was probably a bad choice to go with MetroPCS over TMobile/Sprint (who also has unlimited 4g).

Status
Not open for further replies.