Tab,Q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p,[,] keys not responding on mechanical keyboard.

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
So, I bought this mechanical keyboard about 7 months ago and ever since I woke up one morning, the keys Tab,Q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p,[,] do not respond. The backlight for them works 100% but they just do not respond. I have opened up the keyboard and there is nothing broken and everything looks gucci. I have tried deleting the drivers and then rebooting to reinstall them but to no avail. I really need help as I hate this membrane keyboard I am currently using and want to get back to my mechanical keyboard.
Thanks,
Chris

Solution
Okay... As the output of a hairdryer is not as focused as a heat gun, I cannot guarantee that this will work the way we want it to. However, I believe it's worth a shot.

Here's the basic idea of this plan. We're going to try to melt any solder that has broken away from the PCB and revive the connections to the malfunctioning keys.

To do this, I recommend removing all of the keys. If the cable is modular, remove it as well. Don't worry about the cable if it's fixed to the PCB or if the keyboard is wireless. I then want you to hold the keyboard in the air up-side down. It is important that you blow the hot air across the keyboard. Never aim the hot air directly at the keyboard. Keep the air focused at one area of the keyboard for no...

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Yes I tried that just now and it still doesnt work. It's just strange how it's the tab and qwerty line of keys that dont work but everything else is fine... 1 key on that line works and it's the \ | key on an american layout board.
I'd be very greatful if you could continue to make suggestions. Can't cope with this membrane crap :(

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I am more than comfortable removing the keys as I have done it before... BUT, I unfortunately do not own a heat gun :((

Hair dryer with a high heat setting?

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I do indeed own a hair dryer with a high heat setting

Okay... As the output of a hairdryer is not as focused as a heat gun, I cannot guarantee that this will work the way we want it to. However, I believe it's worth a shot.

Here's the basic idea of this plan. We're going to try to melt any solder that has broken away from the PCB and revive the connections to the malfunctioning keys.

To do this, I recommend removing all of the keys. If the cable is modular, remove it as well. Don't worry about the cable if it's fixed to the PCB or if the keyboard is wireless. I then want you to hold the keyboard in the air up-side down. It is important that you blow the hot air across the keyboard. Never aim the hot air directly at the keyboard. Keep the air focused at one area of the keyboard for no more than five seconds. Do this for no more than thirty seconds at a time. Once complete, flip the keyboard over so that it's right-side up and repeat the process. Again, limit your time and keep the hairdryer moving, we don't want to melt the keyboard as a whole. You may have to repeat this process a few times. Always allow the keyboard to cool so that it feels cold to the touch before reattaching the keys. If it doesn't yield favorable results after three tries, then this process is not working for you.

If at any point the keyboard feels like it's getting soft, then stop immediately and put it on a flat non-flammable surface to cool down.

If this works, you will have a fully functional keyboard.

Solution

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Unfortunately this still hasn't fixed it after 3 tries. I gave you best solution because you at least took effort.