[SOLVED] Table emits low frequency sounds when I type on a keyboard on it. How do I cancel these sounds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2808222

Did not know where to put this thread but hoping I can get some help here.

whenever I start typing on my logitech mx keyboard or use my mouse I usually hear some low frequencies coming from it, also with my piano keyboard. My question is how can I dampen the low frequency sound coming from the keyboard and mouse? I use a glorious extended mouse pad.

The tables I I got come from ikea. Ikea linnmon.
I sit and work 11-12 hours a day and use the keyboard and mouse

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Try a few wraps of wide masking tape somewhere along the outside length of the leg(s).

Use tape that will be easy to unwrap if the tape and/or positioning does not work. Start at the top and just one band - do not spiral downwards.

Other tape may work but the general idea is to just dampen any vibrations as simply as possible.

See if the tape works, then you can make it less obtrusive.

A thin piece of rubber between the leg brackets ( the round mounting bracket with the 5 screws) and table proper could also help. Maybe an old thin mouse pad.

Would be easier to hide but will require a bit more work.

kanewolf

Titan

whenever I start typing on my logitech mx keyboard or use my mouse I usually hear some low frequencies coming from it, also with my piano keyboard. My question is how can I dampen the low frequency sound coming from the keyboard and mouse? I use a glorious extended mouse pad.

Before you can change the sound you have to localize what is making it. table top? Support bracket? Something else? You will have to get somebody to help, but while you type, they will use a papertowel tube as a "stethoscope" to localize the origin of the noise. Then you may be able to put something like a cloth to dampen a bracket or something. If it is the tabletop, then you may have to glue a damper like dynomat to the bottom.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Are the legs of the table hollow metal tubes ?
If so then they are what I would supect first,as they could be acting as a resonant tube.
If you can get access to the hollow inside the tube by either unscrewing them from the table top or removing the rubber foot then filling them with sand should solve your issue.If the extra wight would be an issue then you could try spraying in expanding foam.

The linnmon is just a tabletop, I'd guess the legs are not solidly in it or it's not fully even on the floor.

D

Deleted member 2808222

Hi
Are the legs of the table hollow metal tubes ?
If so then they are what I would supect first,as they could be acting as a resonant tube.
If you can get access to the hollow inside the tube by either unscrewing them from the table top or removing the rubber foot then filling them with sand should solve your issue.If the extra wight would be an issue then you could try spraying in expanding foam.
The legs are adils from ikea, since I will be getting a different color of these legs then I could try and open them up for the new legs. I just wonder if you think this would work with anything that could possibly be found at a home? For example instead of using sand or expanding foam which seems chemically , could something like towels/unused tshirts work?

D

Deleted member 2808222

The linnmon is just a tabletop, I'd guess the legs are not solidly in it or it's not fully even on the floor.
I have two linnmon desks that each have 4 olov legs, the main corner linnmon desk which I’m talking about here has 5 ikea adils legs

makkem

Distinguished
The legs are adils from ikea, since I will be getting a different color of these legs then I could try and open them up for the new legs. I just wonder if you think this would work with anything that could possibly be found at a home? For example instead of using sand or expanding foam which seems chemically , could something like towels/unused tshirts work?
Yes you could try stuffing them with rags or something but try and fill the space completely so there is no large airspace for the sound to resonate in.

Ralston18

Titan
Try a few wraps of wide masking tape somewhere along the outside length of the leg(s).

Use tape that will be easy to unwrap if the tape and/or positioning does not work. Start at the top and just one band - do not spiral downwards.

Other tape may work but the general idea is to just dampen any vibrations as simply as possible.

See if the tape works, then you can make it less obtrusive.

A thin piece of rubber between the leg brackets ( the round mounting bracket with the 5 screws) and table proper could also help. Maybe an old thin mouse pad.

Would be easier to hide but will require a bit more work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.