Table Salt Could Allow for 18 Terabyte Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansemx324

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Very true, but I don't think it would be less reliable than today's drives. From what I've gained from from this article, one bit of information is stored on several different grains, so if any one of those grains is messed up, then the data is messed up.
Here the data is on one grain (so only 1 point of failure rather than several), so maybe its more reliable? That's my logic anyway...

[citation][nom]ansemx324[/nom]Very true, but I don't think it would be less reliable than today's drives. From what I've gained from from this article, one bit of information is stored on several different grains, so if any one of those grains is messed up, then the data is messed up.Here the data is on one grain (so only 1 point of failure rather than several), so maybe its more reliable? That's my logic anyway...[/citation]
In ten years u could have 24GB as well.

ansemx324

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
[citation][nom]nikorr[/nom]U need to keep it away from the moose.[/citation]

And you* the keyboard AND mouse*.

@dane1234, I appreciate the joke haha

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"In addition to the higher capacity, the IMRE also reveals that the new method can be added to existing lithography processes thanks to a secret ingredient: tablet salt."

I knew iPads were good for something :)

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
In Ten years? By that time everyone will probably be using SSD drives, as their prices would have dropped a lot by then and their sizes increased.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Salt Lake City is the new Silicon Valley.

As for the grains debate. I don't believe these grains are used in the discrete fashion being debated. I think it is more of an analog threshold type thing for the cluster/grain as a unit.

"What are you doing at Home Depot? I thought you were working on that new PC."

"I am. I need to get a back-up generator. I have 6TB mechanical HDDs and need to rebuild the array."

"Huh?"

"Dude, it's gonna take ages, can't risk the power-loss."

There's no telling what else will be available when 6TB HDDs hit the market. You'll probably want to buy at least 2 so you have something to back up data to. How much does 6TB of cloud storage cost? In addition, with ISP caps, I can only back up 200-250GB per month assuming I don't use the internet for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.