Tablet Market is On a 100 Million Units Per Year Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
look at the ipad above, it uses a good looking aspect ratio 1.33 screen. why samsung don't follow the same? but made its tablet with AR1.6+. the new galaxy note is another ugly long device AR1.79. that is exactly an enlarged s3.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]look at the ipad above, it uses a good looking aspect ratio 1.33 screen. why samsung don't follow the same? but made its tablet with AR1.6+. the new galaxy note is another ugly long device AR1.79. that is exactly an enlarged s3.[/citation]
1.33 used to be the video content 4:3 ratio which then transitioned to 16.9 which is 1.79. I don't understand what you are complaining about.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
then we should ask why Apple keep producing AR1.33 screen pad. why amazon plan to produce lower AR screen for new generation tablet. reason is simple, no book is that long, our eyes are used to that shorter length. shorter screen looks prettier and natural. do we take portrait picture with with AR1.78? and it would be terrible when you look it back on landscape mode computer wide screen. i use these small screens in portrait mode 99% of my time.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I think it will dry up as quickly as it started. MS at least is trying to engineer their tablets around pen use, although I would argue they could still do much more. That's the only way it makes reasonable sense.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

You're just giving Apple another reason to sue Samsung again....... :/

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]I think it will dry up as quickly as it started. MS at least is trying to engineer their tablets around pen use, although I would argue they could still do much more. That's the only way it makes reasonable sense.[/citation]

What does it matter, neither is really a negative. They both do the same thing. My wifes iPad displays books. My ASUS Transformer Prime displays books. The human eye is not conditioned to look at books in any specific format, we have conditioned it to read left to right, top to bottom. Most books on the market are not a perfect 1.33 ratio so your argument doesn't make any sense.

I think it likely came down to video format, back in 2005-2006 when the ipad was being designed the 4:3 screen shape was still a common format for video. It is in the last few years that it has really finally started to shift to widescreen designs across the board (laptops, TV's, etc). So it was likely timing, and it could have just been that Jobs liked it more square than rectangle for all we know.

At the end of the day, they both get the job done.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Sorry, that response was to the post above it ...

then we should ask why Apple keep producing AR1.33 screen pad. why amazon plan to produce lower AR screen for new generation tablet. reason is simple, no book is that long, our eyes are used to that shorter length. shorter screen looks prettier and natural. do we take portrait picture with with AR1.78? and it would be terrible when you look it back on landscape mode computer wide screen. i use these small screens in portrait mode 99% of my time.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]look at the ipad above, it uses a good looking aspect ratio 1.33 screen. why samsung don't follow the same? but made its tablet with AR1.6+. the new galaxy note is another ugly long device AR1.79. that is exactly an enlarged s3.[/citation]
So what you are saying, is that you wanted them to copy Apple?
My biggest gripe with Apple devices is the insistance on staying with archaic 4:3 aspect ratio, tablets are content consumption devices and videos just look beter in 16:9, all the those retina displays on Apple just give you high resolution black bars

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Funny, i never see anyone use a pad in Sweden. Peeps prefer their laptops/ultra books with real keyboards or the smartphones for quick surfs. There haven't really been any real need, more like a "pushed" need from the marketing firms.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
4:3 is better for general use. 16:9 is for video... Hence, most tablets SUCK because they are being pushed as mobile video devices. I rarely watch video on the iPad, I use it for browsing... which SUCKS on a 16:9 screen!

But apple pisses me off with their stupid court BS, so I'm not interested in buying another apple product.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Status
Not open for further replies.