Tablet Shipments to Top Laptops for The First Time Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kog91

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
and people wonder why Microsoft made tablets the focus of Windows 8. Sure the Surface RT is pretty shaky, but they definitely know which way the wind is blowing.

Here's hoping the Thinkpad Tablet 2 gets good reviews! Love having a stylus!!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
There is also a certain market saturation on laptops. By now everyone who needs a laptop has one and there is not much reason to replace or upgrade a laptop as long as it works.
So naturally the sales on laptops will level off while the new toy on the block will catch up.

kog91

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]There is also a certain market saturation on laptops. By now everyone who needs a laptop has one and there is not much reason to replace or upgrade a laptop as long as it works.So naturally the sales on laptops will level off while the new toy on the block will catch up.[/citation]

Not to mention for the consumer sector: desktop sales < laptop sales < tablet sales.

We are seeing the same trend as when laptops became popular and more powerful. As we became more able to work and play on our laptops, the draw of desktops significantly dropped. Especially with how powerful these laptops can be nowadays! I mean you can buy machines for < 1000$ that can handle the demands of the original Crysis at medium or better.

Outside of business and government, desktops are becoming more of an enthusiast market than a consumer market.

I fully expect that as tablets get more powerful, that laptops will see an even greater decline. This is compounded by the keyboard and desktop docks for tablets these days. Portability of a tablet on the go, functionality of a laptop/desktop when docked.

The logical next phase is the evolution of devices like the Asus PadPhone. The tablet then just becomes a dock for the smartphone that enables greater usability on the go. Other docks can then be used for desktop and laptop capabilities.

G

Those cheaply tablets lousy parents give to their kids, yes, but not the good quality tablet sales.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]By now everyone who needs a laptop has one and there is not much reason to replace or upgrade a laptop as long as it works[/citation]
Exactly! I had a laptop die from old age recently, 8 1/2 years old and finally popped it's cloggs, I will be replacing it with a Surface Pro so it can do all the same laptop stuff but be a tablet too
Am I worried about performance? Gaming? No, that's what my desktop is for

G

TabletSprint also offers in December, two new tablets with 3G Wireless built in -- the Pipo 763... a 7" Android tablet for $199, and the Pipo M8 for $279, a higher-end, full size 9.4 inch model with a 1280x800 high resolution screen along with GPS & Bluetooth. TabletSprint also offers a nice perk -- a FREE 3G/4G 500MB monthly data plan with full internet access/VoIP calling in the U.S., that works with all tablets they carry -- Each of these new tablet models offer the latest technology and are certainly worth checking out and comparing --

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kog91[/nom]and people wonder why Microsoft made tablets the focus of Windows 8. Sure the Surface RT is pretty shaky, but they definitely know which way the wind is blowing. Here's hoping the Thinkpad Tablet 2 gets good reviews! Love having a stylus!![/citation]

yea build the tablet crap into all os areas, and not just limit it to when its on a tablet.

that is the design part i question, them going after tablets i cna never fault them for.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
For the first time "ever"? Hardly enough history of the tablet device to use language that makes it sound so dramatic. That is like saying I read this article for the first time ever!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
everybody just wants thier own appstore and their own closed system where you only get to buy programs through them... ironicall imitating apple which is losing market share for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS