Tablets Accounted for 46 Percent of PC Shipments in Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Tablets are definitely not going to completely replace PC is any foreseeable future. There are many things that PC are currently doing, are completely beyond the capabilities of tablets. Still, it is also obvious that tablets is going to take away a chunk of existing PC market as the usage scenarios for certain user groups never require a full-blown PC to begin with. So the PC market segment is going to shrink. The only question is at what level the market will stabilize again. Any PC vendor who exit the scene completely now will be a gain for their competitor, as this mean they will sell more PCs in the long run with less competition. Still, PC vendors will need to learn to diversify to future-proof their business as the current users are taking longer and longer to replace their PCs. It will be inevitable for PC vendors to seek additional revenue by providing software services, or to learn to build many different kinds of gadgets such as tablets, smartphones, TV etc etc.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
PC = personal computer. What is a computer?

A computer is anything that computes. A pocket calculator is a computer. Cellphones nowadays are computers. Even your car has a computer running inside it.

A computer is not limited to a single operating system or instruction set. Most of the machines that mass-produce all our hardware are controlled by computers that run on custom processors and operating systems that are most certainly not x86-64, since that requires a license.

Some computers don't even run on electricity. In fact, the very first computers were purely mechanical, and some say that the very first computer program was created by a female mathematician named Ada Lovelace nearly 200 years ago.

One of the very earliest computers that we know of is an ancient device known as the Antikythera mechanism, created over 2000 years ago. The Antikythera mechanism was used to calculate astronomical positions with astonishing accuracy. Before its discovery no one thought it was even remotely possible for such complex gearing to even exist at that time. It is difficult to create such a complex device even with today's modern technology. The device's calculations involved an understanding of mathematics, astronomy, and mechanical engineering that far exceed the level of a typical college graduate. It is quite possibly the greatest testament to human genius ever created.

So yea... a tablet is most definitely a PC.

shipandcarry

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
"PC = personal computer. What is a computer? A computer is anything that computes."

A "personal computer" however is not just anything that computes, but rather anything that computes whatever its owners wishes. The term was created in the 70s to describe computers that could be programmed by their owners, unlike for example, smart terminals which would require a central server to function.

Many tablet computers, eg. iPads, actually can't function properly without connecting to a central server. You can't install software that isn't approved by Apple. The same is true for Microsoft's latest tablet endeavors.

As long as you can't write your own programs and, more importantly for the majority of owners, can't run someone else's programs, your computer is not a personal computer.

"So yea... a tablet is most definitely a PC."

Nay. It's not a PC. It's just a computer that you'll throw away in a few years contributing in a landfill.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Tablets are NOT PC's. I repeat: Tablets are NOT, unless they have a x86/x64 compatible OS, they ARE NOT PCs![/citation]

By definition they are, Einstein. They are PERSONAL COMPUTERS. Just because they dont have all the bells and whistles of your x86 doesnt mean they are not PERSONAL COMPUTERS.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shipandcarry[/nom]"Many tablet computers, eg. iPads, actually can't function properly without connecting to a central server. "[/citation]

Stop lying. Seriously, its pathetic.

iPads function fine in standalone mode.

The rest of your post is so much lame opinion on the definition of a PC.

Newflash, man-with-the-blinders-on-permanently, your smartphone is a PC also.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
"Apple timed the launch of the iPad Mini well," said Canalys research analyst, Pin-Chen Tang. "Its success proves there is a clear demand for pads with smaller screens at a more affordable price. Without the launch, Apple would surely have lost more ground to its competitors."

... so apple invented the small form factor tablet... a year after the kindle fire, and many other small form factor tablets.. yep the kind of quote and info you expect to find in a zak article apple, innovating by immitating

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Tablets are NOT PC's. I repeat: Tablets are NOT, unless they have a x86/x64 compatible OS, they ARE NOT PCs![/citation]
actually many tablets do include a full OS and secondly , PC = Personal computer , which tablets are.

now don't get me wrong i'm a desktop enthusiast but i'm not dillussional. I think in the future , tablets may kill lap tops and netbooks. but desktops will all ways have staying power for their buisness use and the sheer ammount of power you can pack into a tower. that said , Tablets are PC's no they are not desk tops , but they ahve every thing else a pc has that makes it a pc ,

OS (any kind) - check
CPU - check
GPU - check
Ram -check
Storage memory - check
Monitor - check
human interfaces (physical or otherwise ) - check
Inputs for mroe physical interfaces - check

saying they arn't pc's is the sign of some one that wants mainstream progress to stop. get over it dude . Desk tops were NEVER really a good idea for main stream computing , they are bulky, expensive, and over over powered for the average user's need's.

so you arn't part of the mainstream (neither am i ) but hell you still got your brand cake and ice cream , let others have thier's.

Woulff

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
I think people get confused because there is always the Apple vs PC mentality. The reference shouldd be desktops vs. tablets vs. smartphone when seperation is needed. PC should be use to encompass all. Personal Computer should not be limited to Windows, x86/64.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]shipandcarry[/nom]Many tablet computers, eg. iPads, actually can't function properly without connecting to a central server.[/citation]
There are at least three reasons why some apps 'require' internet connection:
1- pushing ads
2- DRM: put some of the pay-features logic on the cloud so people cannot hack them
2.1- keeping the DBs private also prevents people from reverse-engineering your software based on data and structure to make their own competing app
3- the databases supporting the app are too large and are updated too frequently to be worth distributing with the app
3.1- ex.: GPS that use online traffic reports to pick the fastest route, avoid construction zones, accidents, streets closed for local events or other reasons, etc.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
You can't compare hardware for telling it's a PC or not. My tv also have OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, Monitor, human interface and inputs... so my tv is a PC ? not really.

The main problem here is the main functions of the PC.
You can do 'HARD' work with your PC.
You can run complex application on your PC.
You have an open ecosystem on your PC.
You have a keyboard and a mouse.

You can do 'LIGHT' work on your tablet.
You can run simple application on your tablet.
You have a mostly closed ecosystem on your tablet.
Some model allow you to connect keyboard and a mouse.

By definition PC = Tablet, but a tablet it's just a light form.
You can compare a tablet to a 10 year old pc. Did you still use your 10 year old PC ? no because you had the need to change it with a newer faster model (or perhaps not). The point is, the PC is so much more than what it's was at the begin. Hardwares and softwares help there. I feel something is missing there for telling a tablet is a PC.

As long that all tablet constructor don't use the same functions... and those functions doesn't include everything you can do with a PC... Tablet != PC.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]I think in the future , tablets may kill lap tops and netbooks. but desktops will all ways have staying power for their buisness use and the sheer ammount of power you can pack into a tower.[/citation]
Tablets will very likely kill the Nettop since tablets can do just about everything nettop do if you simply pair a BT or docking keyboard.

They will likely put a large dent in the low-end laptops and desktops too once more fully-fledged desktop-like software becomes available on Android and Android devices start having enough RAM to run full-blown rather than stripped-down applications. Mid-range and high-end laptops and desktops on the other hand will not disappear any time soon since they serve very different market segments than low-end stuff and tablets.

As far as desktop staying in businesses, many businesses are swapping their desktops for laptops to simplify management and enable their employees to take their work to their bosses/co-workers/meetings rather than have to ask their bosses/co-workers to their office to show/discuss details.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]You can do 'HARD' work with your PC.You can run complex application on your PC.[/citation]
Most people who own PCs use them mostly for Facebook, dumping photos from their phones/cameras and other trivial stuff. They wouldn't even need a PC if Android had a usable file manager built-in with full support for USB storage but most devices do not have USB-A ports to make this convenient.

As for "complex" applications, many of today's tablets and smartphones are more powerful than a ~5 years old Pentium 4/D and I used to run Xilinx ISE, Modelsim, MATLAB, VisualStudio, etc. on a P4. The main reason tablets "cannot do heavy work" is simply that "heavy" applications have not been ported to tablets... yet. (2GB RAM would still be a rather tight fit for many of those.)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i bought a nexus 7 over the holidays and I really dont think these tablets are going to be all theyre expected to be. I tinkered around that tablet and used it for like 2 weeks and now its laying around somewhere collecting dust waiting to be given away. from my personal experience tablets are almost a fad. they have theyre good uses like mobility and some touch UI apps, but for web surfing and just doing most stuff, a good laptop is just more enjoyable to use(for me anyways). alot of people in my college classes are the same, they bought a tablet and used it for a few weeks, then went back to using a phone for everything a tablet can do. if more people around the world had the same experience I had with tablets, then I have no doubt sales will be much smaller next holidays.

this is just the way I see things though as a college student who uses his laptop every day for nearly everything from word, games, net surfing, all the way to programming. I just dont find many uses for a tablet.

shipandcarry

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Non-Euclidean[/nom].iPads function fine in standalone mode.[/citation]

Does "function fine" include programmability ?

shipandcarry

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Let me give you an example why tablet toys are not PCs. There is a Commodore64 emulator for the iPad. A developer made it. Yet you can't run it. Why ? Apple doesn't allow it. That's why the iPad is not a Personal Computer. Were it was, you would have that option.

Walled garden computing does have its uses -- and its audience. Just don't confuse it with the power and freedom of a PC.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Most tablets on the market are nothing more but a digital newspaper device oriented towards media consumption. PC is a device that's productivity oriented. Just because most of the people can get by with tablets doesn't mean desktop PC will be completely redundant. Nothing can replace a mouse, a keyboard and a big monitor when it comes down to productivity and that's what's going to keep desktop form factor live and kicking for a very long time.
The only tablet that's worth being called a PC is Surface Pro, which, funnily enough sports x86 CPU and desktop OS. Now it's up to Intel to keep pushing power consumption down and IGP performance up for it to rival most desktop features. Full blown desktop PC will always do everything better (faster and with greater comfort, i.e. bigger screen, without clumsy input devices, etc.) for less money.
It's a natural evolution in PC industry. OEMs have to diversify their product lineup for the same reason why you don't see every car company produce only SUVs.
That's why Windows 8 is what it is, and it was a move in the right direction whether you like it or not.
Would you rather have a 10-core Ivy Bridge Extreme desktop workstation, a Surface Pro and Lumia 920, all with Windows 8 (assuming you're going to use all those devices) or the same workstation, and iPad and Android phone? Think people, that's what kept Apple going for so long, but now they're outgunned heavily by MS in that they've got more powerful/versatile devices and sell them for less money. Windows based custom built workstation will sport latest hardware unlike Mac Pro, Surface Pro costs roughly the same as 11" MBA, provides equal performance and doubles as iPad when needed, and having a phone that's natively a part of the ecosystem is just a plus, again for the people who can utilize it all.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Ahhhh..what does PC stand for? Thats right, P_ersonal C_omputer.
Please break out of your preconcieved mold. We moved past 'Xerox-ing" a document. I think you can handle this one toooo! *Deep breaths!*

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Woulff[/nom]I think people get confused because there is always the Apple vs PC mentality. The reference shouldd be desktops vs. tablets vs. smartphone when seperation is needed. PC should be use to encompass all. Personal Computer should not be limited to Windows, x86/64.[/citation]

I duuno why tech-heads on this site are so myopic around their own world. Unless your job / productivity requires coordinated complex data entry (yes, even a word document qualifies) you don't need a computer with a keyboard & mouse. There are plenty of jobs out there that many people hold that don't require coordinated complex data entry. Car mechanic, bank teller, sales clerk, etc are jobs where their use of computer devices is casual surfing, e-mailing, texting. These folks are perfectly happy on a tablet.

BOTH MARKETS CAN SURVIVE !! Jeez already!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]"Apple timed the launch of the iPad Mini well," said Canalys research analyst, Pin-Chen Tang. "Its success proves there is a clear demand for pads with smaller screens at a more affordable price. Without the launch, Apple would surely have lost more ground to its competitors."... so apple invented the small form factor tablet... a year after the kindle fire, and many other small form factor tablets.. yep the kind of quote and info you expect to find in a zak article apple, innovating by immitating[/citation]

Apple has never claimed to be first with the smaller screen.
But you cannot doubt the impact the first iPad had on the tablet market. It essentially spawned a multi-billion dollar market that never made money and now every manufacturer is making products in that space. Do not mix the impact on history the iPad made to innovation with a ridiculous statement by the author on the mini.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A PC is not equal to a PCD. There are differences between Personal Computers (PC) and Personal Computing Devices (PCD) , like iPads, Kindles, Nooks, Smartphones, etc.

All of these devices are useful and meet specific needs, but to lump them all together really serves no useful purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.