TAILS OS not working

@Toieo,

- Have you checked the integrity of th image you've downloaded?
- Have you tried your ordeal with something "mainstream", like Ubuntu? You can download both CD and DVD images for it, so I would just do it to confirm my hardware (CD, USB - whatever you try) is working

Just for grins, I looked up the TAILS stuff (I use linux generally) and tried to format a usb under linux and had the same issues.

However, when I went to W7 and used my ultimate usb installer from pendrivelinux, it worked fine. I would suggest using windows as your install medium and ultimate usb installer. I chose to use an iso that was not listed, browsed to the tails iso and ran the installer and it worked fine.

Instead of selecting a "tails" distro directly, try using the "unlisted iso" option.

Mark

Check the file integrity of your download
https://tails.boum.org/download/#authenticity-check

1) install syslinux bootloader to MBR of flashdrive
2) copy contents of iso to usb drive
2) make file "syslinux.cfg" look something like this
Code:
default kernel vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img

Thats all you need to make bootable usb flash drive...

On windows I use "LiLi" to do all this automatically.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Just made bootable USB using LiLi with Tails 0.20.1, works fine on my machine.
Q6600
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Toieo

Honorable
May 24, 2012

I verified BOTH images I downloaded. 3 times I've downloaded the package now actually. and Yes, I have verified the contents of the .iso with the signing key/hash sum thing they provide.

By "mainstream" does Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit count? That's the OS I'm working with here since I'm unable to get Tails working. (Which is Linux, the Tails package just comes with some other features built in like a PGP Encryption tool etc

Toieo

Honorable
May 24, 2012

I'm using Vista so pretty simliar to Windows 7, in this regard. You mentioned though that you "chose to use an iso that was not listed", can you clarify that for me please? The 3 downloads I've snagged are either direct downloads or the torrent BOTH directly from the Tails website. I redownloaded the direct link to rule that out as an error. I've also ran the USB installer under the Tails heading and that last option, "not supported" or whatever it was called.

Toieo

Honorable
May 24, 2012

This sounds useful, gonna give this a go right now. tyvm

Toieo

Honorable
May 24, 2012
]

Ok... After ALL that, Lily worked BUT it's not necessarily that software that "fixed" it. It's a great program though and I prefer it over USB Installer. Ok current settings are BIOS default since I just got home from work. The last thing I did was reset the CMOS by removing the battery, cleaning the entire PC out physically and resecuring all my cables. Replaced CMOS and booted PC and left it till now.

Issue: Cant boot Tails from USB

Boot Order is:
Removable
CD-ROM
Hard Disk

Resolution: USB is listed under HDD when you hit escape and go to the boot menu! After all of that effort the one place I failed to check, since I only checked the removable storage and the cd-rom under the boot menu, was the answer. Which poses another question but not really relevant to this thread.

How do we confirm this resolved?

Edited to remove unnecessary quotes

Oct 19, 2013

uhhh, i hate to break it to you Toieo, but LiLi IS the reason it works. Same position as you with an x61 thinkpad. Tried everything. First try with LiLi and everything works 100%

The author of Linux Live Creator, has just facilitaed freedom for many people, he will be a millionaire if he steps up and gets the crew at tails to get everyone to use his software as an alternative. for a fee

LiLi you rock

mjvej4f

Reputable
May 18, 2014

I'm going to just redownload the ISO and use the ultimate usb installer like you suggested. I also got another mouse but I doubt it'll change anything. Praying this works. Not very tech savvy when it comes to linux :s