Question Tailscale Site to Site VPN IPv6 Not Working

Jun 14, 2023
I am trying to use Tailscale as a site to site VPN. I have a work computer that I can’t install Tailscale directly on but want to use Tailscale at the OpenWrt router level to route all traffic of non-Tailscale devices on this router on the client side to a Linux exit node server that I have located at another location.
When I connect to the what is my IP site it will successfully show my location as the location of my exit node, but only sees an IPv4 IP address but not an IPv6. When I do this on a non-Tailscale device connected to the subnet router, it will show my IPv4 address as matching my exit node IPv4, but it will show my location as my actual client side location which I assume it gets from my IPv6, and it does show an IPv6 and the IPv6 is different from that of the exit node.
I found this post on the Tailscale forum Ipv6 does not work with exit node but this didn’t seem to answer the question, but I am a newbie to this stuff so maybe I’m just not getting it. I have run --sysctl -n net.ipv4.ip_forward net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding over SSH on the exit node and got 1 and 1, so it looks like I do have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? What do I need to do to fix this?

Update:

I think the issue is as simple as the network that I was exiting from probably isn't setup with IPv6 (it's a family member's not mine) I disabled IPv4 in OpenWrt and it works fine for my purposes.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I am trying to use Tailscale as a site to site VPN. I have a work computer that I can’t install Tailscale directly on but want to use Tailscale at the OpenWrt router level to route all traffic of non-Tailscale devices on this router on the client side to a Linux exit node server that I have located at another location.
When I connect to the what is my IP site it will successfully show my location as the location of my exit node, but only sees an IPv4 IP address but not an IPv6. When I do this on a non-Tailscale device connected to the subnet router, it will show my IPv4 address as matching my exit node IPv4, but it will show my location as my actual client side location which I assume it gets from my IPv6, and it does show an IPv6 and the IPv6 is different from that of the exit node.
I found this post on the Tailscale forum Ipv6 does not work with exit node but this didn’t seem to answer the question, but I am a newbie to this stuff so maybe I’m just not getting it. I have run --sysctl -n net.ipv4.ip_forward net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding over SSH on the exit node and got 1 and 1, so it looks like I do have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? What do I need to do to fix this?
Is IPv6 required? You could just disable IPv6 on the PC. That should eliminate it.