Taiwan Component Makers Want Heatpipes in Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Don't see why. Not many phone chips make enough heat to make the pipes feasible. I can see the advantage but I mean what's the gain? No chips get hot enough to cause significant leakage. Heat pipes would allow more powerful chips, but then you'll kill the battery before lunch. A lot more R&D needs to go into the battery tech first, not cooling and screen resolution.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Instead making a phone with a more powerful chip whose power I won't use and can burn a hole in my pocket, how about you give the same power for less heat and better battery life?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Now that I have a data plan worth using, my phone batter last me 9 hours. That's enough sometimes but other times it's a major pain. Give me a 3000mah battery before beefing up my already plenty fast phone. Thanks.

Maybe better cooling will allow for a better battery in the future, but I agree adding cooling will only allow for a more powerful phone, meaning higher power draw, because that's really all the heat is, power. Although, I have a Nexus 5, and it gets hot and has huge throttling issues, so a better cooling system would help. I think that better cooling will help a lot of phones, but if it exceeds the phone's heat output, they'll just increase the power usage, making the battery life even shorter. You can't upgrade the cooling without upgrading the battery, basically.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Sure, this would improve the throttling issues current phones have - I've seen Snapdragon 800 doing worse than S600 that in turn was doing worse than S400 in overall performance due to throttling (kids messing with the phones - playing games, etc.).
The end result would be more powerful SoCs and the same throttling issues as before and even more pathetic battery life.

Also, the heatpipes would just spread all the heat generated by the SoC to a larger area, therefore making the whole phone hot - not to mention more expensive. For a PC, that is fine, but for a phone that you hold in your hands, that's undesirable (at least for me).

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
What a bunch of nimrods, completely thrown into a tizzy by a picture.
And so many stupid/ignorant statements about Socs not getting hot.

I can't wait for these to be more widely used in tablets so overclocking won't fry your chip, maybe coupled with an electronic piezo fan.

The number of smartphones with longer talk times is growing rapidly.

piropeople13

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Why is that picture with the zombie at all relevant. I wanted to send this article to my dad because he is interested in these things but now I can't because that picture will gross him out.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The heatpipe would be useful if the SOC could clock up when plugged in. Then the phone could do a lot more BOINC (distributed computing) work when plugged in or use more sophisticated software without bogging down. But I think it's use is limited because without heatpipes they can still design a phone where the chassis is the heatsink. With a heatpipe the only real advantage would happen if there was active air flow I think.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
In the desktop PC market, the typical heatpipe will range from 1 mm to 2 mm in diameter.

Don't think I've seen any 1 mm - 2 mm heat pipes in the desktop PC market. Usually CPU and GPU heat pipes are 5-10 mm in diameter.

True, and while they do exist in smaller sizes they are not typically used due to their higher cost. In general the more compact heatpipe designs are more expensive to manufacture.

Master467

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Set up a mini steam turbine in there, and have the heat produced by the SoC running make more power to run the SoC. Obviously this won't be 100% of your energy back, but still.

And the first one to make a .6mm steam turbine charge a phone will be a damn billionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.