News Taiwan hit with 7.4 earthquake, endangering tech supply chain

Apr 2, 2024
I'll be brutally honest here,

The price of some comodity silicon chips increasing is frankly irrelevant when put in contrast to the potential loss of life that has likely occurred as a result of this Natural Disaster.

People have died, buildings have collapsed, people are likely still trapped under rubble.
This is a horrible disaster to have occurred and I can only hope that as many people as possible made it through the incident alive & well.

To all the people of Taiwan, my hopes & prayers are with you all.

umeng2002_2

Respectable
Jan 10, 2022
And here we go. It doesn't matter if these earthquakes actually disrupted production. What matters is that companies will use it as an excuse to raise prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if intelligence agencies make huge buys now, and the companies selling to them cloak the sales as production losses from the earthquake, as they've done in the past.

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
7.4 magnitude is pretty major. I definitely want to know what sort of impact this will have on supply chains, but...

Considering the 26 building collapses, let's try not to forget the human toll, here.

26 buildings collapsed > only < ... they have good engineers for sure and no corruption ... Turkey lost half a million houses totally collapsed in last year earthquake of 7.8 scale ..

Reactions: artk2219

P.Amini

Reputable
Jan 20, 2021
I agree, every life is priceless and it's heartbreaking but the reality is we all are continuing to live our lives and do our stuff, if we can/want to help then it's great but regardless of that, life is going on... and this is a tech news which is doing it's job by viewing this aspect of the disaster. Regards..

26 buildings collapsed > only < ... they have good engineers for sure and no corruption ... Turkey lost half a million houses totally collapsed in last year earthquake of 7.8 scale ..
While I agree that they do seem to have designed well for a severe earthquake, something to keep in mind is that earthquakes are measured on a logarithmic scale, not linear. A 7.8 earthquake is more than double the shaking of a 7.4, its no mean feat to design structures to withstand the strength of these earthquakes. The big bang would measure around a 48 on the Richter scale.

"Increase the magnitude by 0.1, and you multiply the shaking by 10^(0.1), or about 1.259—an increase of 26%. Increase the magnitude by 0.3, and the shaking almost exactly doubles. That's a handy rule of thumb to keep in mind. Shaking isn't the only way to compare earthquakes."

https://www.science.org/content/article/comparing-earthquakes-explained

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The big bang would measure around a 48 on the Richter scale.
LOL, I hadn't heard that! I wonder what a supernova would be rated, at about the distance of a star's usual radius.

Shaking isn't the only way to compare earthquakes.
Yeah, other factors include: the distance from the fault, the type of soil your building is on (see also: liquefaction), and something I now forget about different wave types.

Reactions: artk2219