Question Take a look // critique my current set up. Anything worth upgrading.

Mar 25, 2019
Here is my most recent build. I would like to see what people think of this. I am looking for advice and opinions. Thanks in advance.

Fractal Define R6 black
Asus Strix B350-F MoBo
AMD4 Ryzen 1700X 8 core 16 threads 3.7ghz
Samsung Evo 970 m.2 SSD 250g
Samsung Evo 860 SSD 240g
Asus Strix 1060 DDR5 6G GPU
Corsair Vengence LPX pc3000 4x8g 32g total RAM
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W Smart Zero Fan
Corsair HYDRO Series H150i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 360mm Radiator, Triple 120mm ML Series PWM Fans (mounted front of case with 6 fans total see below)-
3 Thermaltake Riing 120mm fans (front of case / closest to the inside pulling air into the case)
4 Corsair ML140mm PWM (3 exaust top, 1 exhaust rear)

I chose not to overclock this. I streams fine and plays my games very well. I did set the RAM in the BIOS instead of auto detect. My temps are 43c CPU, 35c GPU, 31c MOBO (+/- 4c)

Any thoughts? Only issue is In one of my games (Everquest) I get some artifacting in game and I have tried every adjustment possible to fix this other than replacing the card. Old drivers, new drivers from Nvidia, under clocking the card, overclocking the card and IN GAME adjustments etc. Any recommendations on resolving this issue? I warrantied the card out once still does it. I am convinced it is on the GAME side of things.

Thanks for the bandwidth and your time.

Richard

Last edited:
Critique of the system or seeking help with the game you mention?

Build is fine if it does what you want.

'Artifacts' is too broad to know what the issue is if you're seeking help on that. I would suggest getting some screenshots so people can see what the issue is.

Mar 25, 2019
The graphics for the characters stall when zoning into a new zone. It has to build the image. Some people call it artifacting or pixilating. I personally call it distracting. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Richard

From my experience it's usually a VRAM limitation as it can't hold all the data necessary (I had similar problems with Dragon Age: Origins). But 6GB of VRAM isn't exactly a low quantity. Personally I would want to be able to back this thought up with actual data from MSI Afterburner to see if VRAM is being maxed out.

The only other thing I can think of is lowering certain graphical settings for textures to see if that reduces the problem.

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Mar 25, 2019
Yes I play Neverwinter and Diablo 3 occasionally. No issues. I will check the VRAM settings and consumption. I wonder if I go into the nvida suite under Phy-X settings and move the video load around there etc would that help. I think EQ is just too old for these new cards. Also some of the server structure has been moved into the cloud so I think EQ doesn't even have their own servers. I am considering switching cards It is annoying. I like the vega stuff, but I may give the 1616 a try. My research has just begun on these. I want a card for non FPS games but need resolution for RPG or MMOPG stuff. Maybe I jumped the gun on the 1060.

Mar 25, 2019
I have made in game setting adjustment and whatever I do I doesn't help. This was their final recommendation:

Tommy N. January 11, 2019 15:04
Thank you for waiting on me to get back to you. I appreciate it. If you are experiencing artifacts onscreen during play we would only kindly suggest re-installing the video driver with the latest stable version available or perhaps try using a previously stable version as well. Also, re-installing the game would be a helpful strategy.

Outside of this, we would only suggest the meticulous process of enabling/disabling or adjusting graphics options from the Nvidia control panel, the LaunchPad advanced settings for EverQuest, and the in-game graphical settings in EverQuest. I say meticulous because you would want to go into each option, make a single adjustment and then load up the game to test to determine if the issue is the result of that particular graphical setting.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I certainly hope it can be resolved soon. Take care and have a nice evening!
Best regards,
Tommy N.
Senior Technical Support
Daybreak Games

This did nothing.

Still hard to really say what's going on, but the mention of the games being old makes me think whether it's a coding issue from the game itself. If memory serves Mass Effect on PC ran into some odd texture issues on AMD CPUs (black blobs or something) due to certain instruction sets being missing from the CPU.

Mar 25, 2019
response to mass effects. This was corrected of the AM4 platform. This was doing it on my old build which was am3+ fx 8250e / asus 970 aura / dd3 ram 16 gig. It is not as bad on the ryzen set up now but is still happening.

maybe i'll buy a cheappy vid card and ebay the strix for now. more research.

That sounds correct on Mass Effect with the older AMD CPUs; it's what I had in mind.

If it's a problem on the server side, then likelihood there's nothing you can do about it. See whether all the other things have been ruled out is probably all that you can do for the time being. Unless we're overlooking something, of course.

Mar 25, 2019
New question: I am think of upgrading my video card from 1060 ASUS STRIX 6G DDR5 OC. My choices I have narrowed down are these:

ASUS STRIX 1660ti DDR6 6G OC
MSI GAMING X 1660 DDR5 6G OC
ASUS AREZ Strix Radeon RX Vega 56 8G

Anythougts? There is a used open box ASUS STRIX 1070 around where I live for 350.00. My intial thoughts are wait. I wonder if the new chip-set in the 16 series could solve my previous problem with artifacting in my game.

Mar 25, 2019
I am leaning on this decision: Get the 1660 asus and be done for a full year. I will sell my 1060 or save for a mini build. I do like the price point on the MSI 1660. I just don't like the look as I have all asus and corsair.

Mar 25, 2019
Update 4/29; I bought and installed a Gigabyte 1660 3 fan 6gig. Artifacting seems to be gone. I will not know until some more diagnostics are done. I plan on sending in my ASUS 1060 to be checked out if indeed that turns out to be the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS