Take The Train: Lian Li PC-CK101, Built, Tested, And...Driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not the first time I've seen it, but I still think this case is just an exercise in sheer ridiculousness.

But since the PC era is coming to an end, who can blame Lian Li for having a little fun while they still can?

Just brilliant. Finally, a computer case with a bit of style suitable for grownups.

Taking the mobile computing theme further, and addressing the limitations on computing power, if you had a Dell Precision M6600 or 6700 laptop with a broken screen, how about mounting the components, motherboard , PSU, batteries, drives, Wifi and all? Then, there could be an i7 CPU and a Quadro 4000M, all very quiet and still getting more air than it's used to. And, appropriately, no power cord!

The idea of a serious, self- propelled workstation steam train model seems the best use possible of this fantastic enclosure idea. That the computer is itself the game is on the borderline of being art.

And congratulations to Igor Wallossek for an excellent description of something so wonderfully out of the ordinary.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Tom's Hardware's German team has a lot of fun, i can see :D

Really enjoyable read, Igor! Also got to know about that Gigabyte wireless streamer, should prove useful!

Nice house btw :)

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
How fun and what an interesting idea from Lian Li. Kind of a pain in the ass to set up but still it is really interesting.

Great Article!

Tran Khanh Vinh An

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Ugliest case ever, if they want to make a locomotive case, at least make it with all same down scaled ratio. Has LianLi really been far even as decided to make even go want to do look more like?

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Tran Khanh Vinh An[/nom] Has LianLi really been far even as decided to make even go want to do look more like?[/citation]

Possibly if even then yes like more go.

[citation][nom]Tran Khanh Vinh An[/nom] Has LianLi really been far even as decided to make even go want to do look more like?[/citation]
[citation][nom]fimbulvinter[/nom]Possibly if even then yes like more go.[/citation]

You both destroyed thousands of my brain cells processing that, lol.

My 4 year old son who loves Thomas the Train would have a fit over this, especially if you could get a thomas the tank version. I'll have to admit, I'd love it (and my wife) just as much watching him with it and I would have an excuse to work on computer stuff for a few hours. =D

I do see this as a possible future purchase! Great article and awesome product!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
My own son Thomas (14 months) loves this train too.

I'm using this mostly as HTPC now but I've programmed for him a special distance control and a small game to play with animals, colors etc. (like memory game). In this age he knows all basic colors (and pink :D ), more than 20 animals and a lot of other things. Each day only 15-20 minutes are enough. And he loves Thomas the train and Shaun the Sheep + Timmy.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
My intention for this review was my little son. Ok, he is very young but all this technical things are for him more interesting as all the expensive toys in his room. We were together in the museum and I saw his eyes :)

My lab is for him the paradise on earth. Cables, computers, a lot of monitors and other things. My grandfather had a large workshop and I also grew up between cables, batteries, screws and tools. I remember this.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
First off awesome photos, it looks like you guys made a great field trip out of this build! I was looking at purchasing one of these, but before I did I have a question for anyone that might be able to answer.

Can you purchase additional tracks / mod the existing tracks to make this run a circular course?

I would love to set this up 100% wireless and have it run in a tiny circle around my office. :)

lp231

Splendid
Is this the new version of the train case or the original? The original even has steam coming out of the funnel. From the pictures, it looks like this funnel is blocked.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Oh there is totally room for at least a low profile video card if not a shorter full height card. You'd have to cut holes for the output connections, but it can be done. Also, if it fits a 120mm exhaust fan, it will fit a closed loop liquid cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.