Take Two CEO Says Gaming Isn't Ready For VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
@mamasan2000 - That is absolutely correct. I actually just sold my Rift DK2 on eBay after using it for a couple months. A couple of the Unreal Engine 4 demos available were pretty taxing on my GPU dragging frames down to 30 or lower and it definitely caused some headache/eye fatigue issues. One the other hand, Code Masters released a Rift support patch for Grid Autosport which was a really nice experience because it ran well over 60fps. 75fps is what Oculus wants people to aim for and from looking in CCC was also the refresh rate of the screen. My biggest complaint with the Rift is the 100 degree viewing from side to side, which is not quite wide enough to encompass your peripheral vision so it kinda has black bars on the side. (Though this wasn't the case vertically). Also, the resolustion was lacking even at 1080p because your eyeball is so close to the screen, but the new Crystal Cove kit (and upcoming consumer version) has added a higher res screen (1440p?) and hopefully looks better.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I would argue that it's not so much that games aren't ready for VR, or that the headset isn't ready, but that the human input interfaces aren't ready. For VR to truly become what we all dream of, you need a way to make waving your hand in real life translate to waving your hand in game, and the technology to do that is still in a bad place (i.e. Kinect).

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
The problem is going to be that awkward transition where not enough gamers have a VR headset, which means that games will still need to be designed primarily for a TV or monitor. This means the VR experience won't be as good as it could be unless programmers are dedicated to developing it.

It's also not suited to many games; for example first person shooters ought to be pretty cool, provided the controls are still good, but third person games are going to be harder to get right.

I dunno; I'm still hopeful for VR, but it's not as simple as just rendering two copies of the scene from two angles to get the 3d effect, which means it requires proper develop to really get right.

It's kind of like motion tracking games, though I do think there's more appeal for VR, but when Microsoft dropped Kinnect from the Xbox One they basically just relegated it to the same difficulties it had on the 360, which is that no-one wants to develop Kinnect only games because they limit their audience, and other games can't really be bothered investing the effort to properly integrate it alongside traditional controls; so you ended up with games adding weak voice command implementations and not much else.

But yeah, while VR may not be easy to add, it's hopefully easier than motion controls, and there's much more appeal to feeling like you're in the game than being able to wave your arms around clumsily, I think, though in future we may have both :)

Hopefully, VR doesn't get in the way of traditional game development. When designing a game, the first thoughts shouldn't have anything to do with VR. Movies designed for 3D tend to have gimmicky scenes just to utilize the 3D effect. I would hate to see cheap, uninspired games born solely to take advantage of any VR craze.

I'll adopt VR if it seems worthwhile to do so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Kevin, how long did you have the unit on in a single environment? VR sickness takes hours...

iron8orn, must be the world's lightest football helmet.

Oculus Rift DK2 weight: .97 lbs

Football helmet: 2 lbs 9 oz (youth helmet) to 4 lbs 1 oz (high grade helmet with titanium facemask

(as a note, the Advanced Combat Helmet worn by the US Army weights 3.0 lbs)

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I have a home-built VR headset and the worst scenarios are when you fall down from a ledge in VR (think the Dive "game" "The hight"). Falling in VR can upset your stomach in a matter of minutes.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
those two CEO will be sorry if they're not prepared for VR, remember castle wolfenstein and doom could make you sick like hell, but still they're booming at the time :D

iron8orn

Admirable
jeeze.. was not being literal. ( I think the helmet I had in high school must have been like 5)

just think it is kinda stupid anyway.. not like it is real vr.. just a ipad taped to your forehead

more like gaming is not ready for fake vr :)

ahhh its ok, just needs some refinement

gaaah

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
I worry once this VR tech really gets rolling video game addiction will explode... to the point that there will be a very tangible and measurable negative effect on the economies of all "1st world" countries.

I'll be enjoying myself because I'm retired, but it will be one more temptation to buck for Junior trying to finish (and pay for) his college degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.