Question Takes about 15 minutes to enter BIOS after i hit the F2 or Del key.

Apr 26, 2019
Been having issues with my computer and replacing lots of parts. My biggest problem is i can’t load into windows 10. Prior to that It takes a long time for me to get to bios. i start the computer, debug lights indicate everything is fine, it takes me to ROG screen where i can press F2 or Del. I do just that, and then wait for 15 minutes before it will go to the bios screen. any thoughts on what the problem could be?

specs
asus z-390-e rog strix
intel-i7 8700k
4, 8gb sticks of corsair vengence ram
rtx 2070 msi gpu

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suggest another cause. When it takes a VERY long time to start doing even the simpler things, often that is because some component of the system is failing during the POST process. That is the first thing the system does on power-up: it goes through the system one device at a time and does a quick and simple test of each to see it it responds with a proper answer. If any device does not, it will stop there and keep re-trying for quite a while before giving up. At that point it may quite completely. Or it may proceed to test all the other stuff, then report an error to you. So, look for error messages. If you don;t see any, look in the BIOS Setup screens for signs of failed or missing items, or devices whose info seems really odd.

If you can't spot a troubled device that way, try a one-at-a-time problem detection scheme. Shut down and open the case. Carefully remove ONE device - say, disconnect a HDD or SSD or remove a RAM module. Try to boot. If the system suddenly goes though the POST process easily, and then maybe alerts you that that particular device is missing, then maybe that's the one that was causing all the delays. If not - if the system is still really slow to POST - shut down, replace that device, and proceed to the next. While you're at it, check that all connectors are plugged in solidly.

Reactions: white.a.drew
I suggest another cause. When it takes a VERY long time to start doing even the simpler things, often that is because some component of the system is failing during the POST process. That is the first thing the system does on power-up: it goes through the system one device at a time and does a quick and simple test of each to see it it responds with a proper answer. If any device does not, it will stop there and keep re-trying for quite a while before giving up. At that point it may quite completely. Or it may proceed to test all the other stuff, then report an error to you. So, look for error messages. If you don;t see any, look in the BIOS Setup screens for signs of failed or missing items, or devices whose info seems really odd.

If you can't spot a troubled device that way, try a one-at-a-time problem detection scheme. Shut down and open the case. Carefully remove ONE device - say, disconnect a HDD or SSD or remove a RAM module. Try to boot. If the system suddenly goes though the POST process easily, and then maybe alerts you that that particular device is missing, then maybe that's the one that was causing all the delays. If not - if the system is still really slow to POST - shut down, replace that device, and proceed to the next. While you're at it, check that all connectors are plugged in solidly.
I suggest booting from linux usb and doing a componet test you will be able find find whats failing at start up linux unless its one of three major componets cpu, ram, and mobo will force a post and detect whats stagling the pc. It should tell you that "" was forced/refuses to start please run software check on components "" i will see if i can fin the os in my back-up drive it's a linux software diagnosis os i will reply in a few minute with a link to google drive download

Been having issues with my computer and replacing lots of parts. My biggest problem is i can’t load into windows 10. Prior to that It takes a long time for me to get to bios. i start the computer, debug lights indicate everything is fine, it takes me to ROG screen where i can press F2 or Del. I do just that, and then wait for 15 minutes before it will go to the bios screen. any thoughts on what the problem could be?

specs
asus z-390-e rog strix
intel-i7 8700k
4, 8gb sticks of corsair vengence ram
rtx 2070 msi gpu
Can't find my linux software diagnosis os, however another good component test kit is hirens boot cd