Question Taking a minute for PC to boot

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I have an MSI x370 Gaming Plus Mobo and I just got Ripjaws V 3200 2x8 RAM. As soon as I installed it, everything has been super damn slow and I can't even boot into my drives anymore.

It takes a minute just for the flash screen to show and I have to sit there and time it to get into the bios. I'm super annoyed right now as I've tried so many troubleshooting steps. I'm about to lose my mind as there is nothing wrong or misplaced. I tried different ram, different slots, unplugging USB cables, all the little cables, reset Cmos from the battery, unplugged GPU CPU etc. and put it back in, etc. I have not tried different sata cables, but I plan to.

PLEASE SOMEONE tell me what is wrong. I'm fuming mentally and literally have no idea what to do. I don't have the money to replace everything nor one single part.

PSU: Thermaltake 650W Bronze 80+
Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200MHz 1.35V 16-18-18-18-38
HDD: 2TB Seagate (I believe)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
M.2: 500GB Blue Western Digital NAND

Please help.

EDIT: I would like to apologize for the language to anyone who reads. During the 3-5 hour period when I was debugging my hardware, I slowly lost control of my thought process. I was getting way too aggravated with my computer since I knew everything was put in right. I might seem crazy, but having the thought of your computer not working after building it on and on for years is frightening, at least to me. Sorry in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
What Bios are you on? Have you tried a Bios update?
Is your RAM running at it's rated frequency? (check in CPUz)

Thanks for the reply. BIOS is on latest, excluding Beta versions. RAM is running at its rated frequency.

I recently found the problem and it was that my M.2 stopped working. I was able to boot after sitting there for 3 minutes and when I went into disk management, my M.2 was unauthorized or unrecognized, something along those lines. I removed it and I booted in nearly 3 seconds.

Now my problem is either my M.2 is dead (bye bye $80) OR the M.2 slot on my mobo is defunct.

How can I even test an M.2 NAND or the mobo slot?

Most times the M.2 is recognized automatically in Bios however you should check that all SATA ports are enabled.

Although I could not find your specific WD M.2 model on the MB compatibility list It should work if mounted correctly. (check with WD anyhow)
Checked again and it's listed as Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD - WDS500G2B0B.
Is that your model?

If the M.2 proves to be dead you have the option to RMA. Same with the MB.

Last edited:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Most times the M.2 is recognized automatically in Bios however you should check that all SATA ports are enabled.

Although I could not find your specific WD M.2 model on the MB compatibility list It should work if mounted correctly. (check with WD anyhow)
Checked again and it's listed as Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD - WDS500G2B0B.
Is that your model?

If the M.2 proves to be dead you have the option to RMA. Same with the MB.

Yes, that is my model. It was automatically recognized, but as I changed the RAM with new ones, everything would slow down like 3x. I figured out it wasn't the RAM and was the M.2. I'll check for the SATA ports.

I would RMA, but I kind of need the computer currently and I do not want to pay for shipping as told by MSI themselves, as well as wait 5-15 business days, which is a long time.

EDIT: I'm not sure where to go on this Mobo to enable M.2, but when I check on the mobo explorer, the M.2 slot says Empty. I watched videos and it looks like the M.2 should click in. Mine kind of does that, but I can't push it in farther. There is no blockage though.

So I plugged it in a different computer and it works. I guess it's time to buy a new Mobo since I can't trust MSI anymore. I'll have to save up sadly.

EDIT 2: HOLD UP, HOLD UP, can I get an M.2 to SATA? Please tell me that is a thing.

Last edited:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Not sure what would cause the SSD to slow with a RAM change.
You can (if I understand you correctly) get an SSD with a PCIE interface.
Your model M.2 has a 2280 key and SATA III 6Gb Interface.

Here are some links to help you understand M.2 and SATA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

No, what I mean is converting a M.2 to a SSD with SATA. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6PMZLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your M.2 is incompatible with Sabrent M.2 SSD to 2.5-Inch SATA III Aluminum Enclosure Adapter
WJDSDFn.jpg

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Okay, so I'm confused right now. I'm able to get this M.2 working on a different computer, but no matter what other option I choose, it is not recognizing. Now with the Sabrent in, it can't detect an OS. I don't get this...

Mine has a B&M key. Please check my M.2 again.
You identified your M.2 as Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD - WDS500G2B0B which has a 2280 key however I downloaded your MB manual and indeed your MB has a B+M key for M.2?
Currently an M.2 SSD has either one of three key types: B, M or B+M, while a socket can only have one key. As the key positions of B and M are slightly different, the M. SSD can only be installed one way.

It should therefore interface with the Sabrent Adapter however this is not a solution as to why your M.2 SSD does not work with your MB. Check for correct installation and that all ports are open in Bios or check for any contamination in the slot otherwise you will have to RMA the MB if the SSD works as you say in another system.