Taking computer parts from US to UK?

TheDroneGamers

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hi, I live in the UK and am visiting New York on boxing day, I wanted to buy my parts from the US as they are much cheaper so I contacted amazon and they said they will ship it to my hotel, (Newegg won't). I was wondering what I should do in the airport? Do I declare electronic items in the UK and US or just US? I do not want to pay taxes otherwise it would be the same price and alot more work. Thank you

Solution
Hi

If you were a non UK resident exporting items from UK & leaving the UK at same time you could get the goods free of UK VAT but you would have to find a supplier who would fill in all the paperwork involved in making a tax free supply
(probably at extra charge)

Going the other way US to UK if you fail to declare the goods on entry to UK you would be likely to be fined and have the goods confiscated.

If you declare them there may be Duty then VAT to pay

see the Customs web site before you go

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/

In some cases the suppliers (especially software) make the US price so much cheaper than UK prices it may be worth it

regards

Mike Barnes

TheDroneGamers

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

No, I am asking if you have to pay taxes once you get the items into the UK? And if you have to declare the items in either the US or UK airports? My friend told me he declared his PS3 in the US airport when he was in the states, and didn't pay taxes in the UK? But i was unsure if they same rules applied because I am spending about £2150/$3500 and don't want to have to deal with taxes after all the messing around

Hi

If you were a non UK resident exporting items from UK & leaving the UK at same time you could get the goods free of UK VAT but you would have to find a supplier who would fill in all the paperwork involved in making a tax free supply
(probably at extra charge)

Going the other way US to UK if you fail to declare the goods on entry to UK you would be likely to be fined and have the goods confiscated.

If you declare them there may be Duty then VAT to pay

see the Customs web site before you go

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/

In some cases the suppliers (especially software) make the US price so much cheaper than UK prices it may be worth it

regards

Mike Barnes

Solution

TheDroneGamers

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Ok, thank you!