[SOLVED] Taking forever booting into Windows 10

Sep 1, 2019
Ok, so I had an old Crucial BX 256 ssd with windows 10 installed and decided to upgrade to a Crucial MX 512. Problem is, after post and with the Gigabyte screen on, it is takes about 3 minutes to get into windows. I've narrowed it down to a software error by trying the following:

1. using my old ssd with windows 10. Boots in seconds.
  2. Installing Ubuntu on the same ssd. Also boots in seconds

Things I have tried to fix the problem

1. Updating my Bios
  2. Reinstalling Windows from a different build
  3. Reinstall the MBR from the recovery disk and all of the bootrec commands (scanOs yields 0 windows installations even though the recovery disc recognizes it. I tried it on the old SSD and got the same results too)
  4. Using Grub as a MBR and booting into windows through that (Grub and ubuntu boots fine, WIndows still take forever).

Any help would be appreciated! For reference I have a Gigabyte UD3-X79 Rev 1.1 mobo.

Thanks!

Solution
As I see it, you have those options:
  • Keep the new SSD and hope that Microsoft launches an fix at nex windows upgrade. It may takes weeks or years.
  • See if you need to install some drivers in Windows to make it run well with that ssd model.
  • Send back the new SSD and try to claim it doesn't work with windows - or best is if you have free return from where you bought it from (the shop may require it being unopened if returned, you need to check that).
Also I would suggest you try to contact Crucial and Gigabyte and see if you get some helpfull answers.
As I see it, you have those options:
  • Keep the new SSD and hope that Microsoft launches an fix at nex windows upgrade. It may takes weeks or years.
  • See if you need to install some drivers in Windows to make it run well with that ssd model.
  • Send back the new SSD and try to claim it doesn't work with windows - or best is if you have free return from where you bought it from (the shop may require it being unopened if returned, you need to check that).
Also I would suggest you try to contact Crucial and Gigabyte and see if you get some helpfull answers.

Solution