Taking GPU out, cleaning it and then putting it back in.

Jan 6, 2019
Hello everybody! Yesterday when I was talking to my buddies one of them asked me a dumb but actually good question which I couldnt answer. Note that I know some stuff about computers but I am no proffessional by any means. So here comes the question:

I want to take out my GPU from my PC, clean it with air duster and then put it/connect it back in as it was. Will the system automaticlly boot with no problem or must he go into the bios and change something there? Whats the worst thing that can happend?

I hope you guys can answer it faster because this keeps me awake at nights.

Solution
The system will obviously be off when you remove, clean, and reinstall the GPU, so it won't even know the GPU was touched. This is the same with every component in your PC. You can completely disassemble an entire PC, put it back together, and power it back up and there's nothing it possesses to know you did anything while there was no power.
The system will obviously be off when you remove, clean, and reinstall the GPU, so it won't even know the GPU was touched. This is the same with every component in your PC. You can completely disassemble an entire PC, put it back together, and power it back up and there's nothing it possesses to know you did anything while there was no power.

Solution

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015

That's theoretically correct, but I had cases when the BIOS "detected a new CPU", even after it was shut off meanwhile cleaning. (AND the CPU was not touched)

I don't know what is the cause, but some motherboards keep running even after they are completely unplugged (it can be seen with some LEDs powered on when the power is unplugged).
Maybe power is kept on some capacitors. Wait some minutes after unplugging, to be sure.

TRENDING THREADS