Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
974
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Using Win98 now moving to XP pro.

I want to take everything about the way my computer "appears" with me. ie: I
want to take my background, screensaver, pointers, sounds, wallpaper, even
the colors of my windows and borders (the colors are customs colors I
created).

How do I do this? Is it possible? or does XP not recognize Win98se settings?

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Win98 now moving to XP pro.
>
> I want to take everything about the way my computer "appears" with me. ie: I
> want to take my background, screensaver, pointers, sounds, wallpaper, even
> the colors of my windows and borders (the colors are customs colors I
> created).
>
> How do I do this? Is it possible? or does XP not recognize Win98se settings?
>
> Thanks
Check help and support or google for Files and Setting Transfer Wizard.
Here's a pretty good explanation:
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/itu/docs/migwiz98.pdf

Some setting will may not transfer if XP doesn't have a comparable setting.

gls858
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:39:13 -0700, Richard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using Win98 now moving to XP pro.
>
> I want to take everything about the way my computer "appears" with me. ie: I
> want to take my background, screensaver, pointers, sounds, wallpaper, even
> the colors of my windows and borders (the colors are customs colors I
> created).
>
> How do I do this? Is it possible? or does XP not recognize Win98se settings?
>
> Thanks

XP uses the Windows XP theme by default. To get a Win98 look and feel, you
would change the theme to Windows Classic.

Wallpaper, pointers and sounds all have corresponding files. Make copies of
those in case you do not find comparable files in XP. You can integrate
them into the various windows folders or just create a folder to hold these
transferred files. Setting these up in XP would be a simple matter of
opening the corresponding control panel and selecting from the copied
files.

Screensaver: Some Win98 screensavers work in XP and some don't. If yours is
a third party screensaver, check with their tech support to see if they
recommend using it with WinXP or have an XP version available.

Customized colors: When using Classic in XP, most of the color "schemes"
that were in Win98 are still available. But for customized colors, you'll
want to record the numbers on your Win98 setup for each color. You can look
up a color in the Windows color picker and write these numbers down. Then
use those numbers with the color picker in WinXP to recreate them.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
 

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
974
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Sharon,

Sounds good, if I can take the colors - at the very least, I can deal with
rebiulding the rest of my desktop. One question though, I have no idea where
to find the "Window's color picker", or where to look in my settings to find
the colors' numbers.

Sorry to ask such a simple question.

Thanks again for your response.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:39:13 -0700, Richard wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using Win98 now moving to XP pro.
> >
> > I want to take everything about the way my computer "appears" with me. ie: I
> > want to take my background, screensaver, pointers, sounds, wallpaper, even
> > the colors of my windows and borders (the colors are customs colors I
> > created).
> >
> > How do I do this? Is it possible? or does XP not recognize Win98se settings?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> XP uses the Windows XP theme by default. To get a Win98 look and feel, you
> would change the theme to Windows Classic.
>
> Wallpaper, pointers and sounds all have corresponding files. Make copies of
> those in case you do not find comparable files in XP. You can integrate
> them into the various windows folders or just create a folder to hold these
> transferred files. Setting these up in XP would be a simple matter of
> opening the corresponding control panel and selecting from the copied
> files.
>
> Screensaver: Some Win98 screensavers work in XP and some don't. If yours is
> a third party screensaver, check with their tech support to see if they
> recommend using it with WinXP or have an XP version available.
>
> Customized colors: When using Classic in XP, most of the color "schemes"
> that were in Win98 are still available. But for customized colors, you'll
> want to record the numbers on your Win98 setup for each color. You can look
> up a color in the Windows color picker and write these numbers down. Then
> use those numbers with the color picker in WinXP to recreate them.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:32:52 -0700, Richard wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Sounds good, if I can take the colors - at the very least, I can deal with
> rebiulding the rest of my desktop. One question though, I have no idea where
> to find the "Window's color picker", or where to look in my settings to find
> the colors' numbers.
>
> Sorry to ask such a simple question.
>
> Thanks again for your response.

Hi, Richard and you're welcome.

When you on the page in Display properties where you can adjust the colors
of individual components, there is a section labelled "Item:" Example of
items: 3D objects, active title bar, active window border and so on. Select
an item so that its color is displayed on the Color "button." Click the
button and the default color selections show up along with an "other"
choice (may be "custom" in Win98). When you click on "other" the color
picker window shows up. A more familiar term you might have heard for this
window would be "palette."

There are values shown for Hue, Saturation, Luminosity. Another set for
Red, Green Blue. Those numbers are the digital description of the current
color. Plug those into any program with a color palette and the color will
duplicated.

You'll want the numbers for any "item" in the drop down list that has a
custom color assigned to it. Use them in XP to recreate/duplicate the
colors for the various items.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
 

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
974
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Sharon,

Found it! Thanks! I got the numbers, and understand what I need to do once I
get to XP.

I hope I like XPpro, I have waited a long time to move from Win98 and have
been happy with its stability over tha last few years. I hope XP isn't
resources top heavy either.

Thanks again, I am almost ready to go, just got to get my OE questions
resolved and I can reformat.

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated!!!! It means very much to
me to have the comfort of my familiar desktop in my new home. :)

Cheers, Richard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:10:03 -0700, Richard wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Found it! Thanks! I got the numbers, and understand what I need to do once I
> get to XP.
>
> I hope I like XPpro, I have waited a long time to move from Win98 and have
> been happy with its stability over tha last few years. I hope XP isn't
> resources top heavy either.
>
> Thanks again, I am almost ready to go, just got to get my OE questions
> resolved and I can reformat.
>
> Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated!!!! It means very much to
> me to have the comfort of my familiar desktop in my new home. :)

You're welcome and glad to hear that you've found all that you need for the
transfer of your customized colors. I hope that you'll be pleasantly
surprised by XP's resource handling. They are handled much differently than
they were in Win98. So different that you should find that you can easily
indulge yourself by allowing a few extra convenient programs. A nice treat
after the usual struggle to keep Win9x running lean and mean. Enjoy!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User