[SOLVED] Taking my pc out and dusting it caused my pc to go on a boot loop

May 18, 2019
Hi, I recently took my pc out to clean out the dust on my fans. the only thing i touched with my cloth is the inside of my pc cases and my fans. When I turned on my pc it went to a boot loop turning on for three seconds and then turning off. Nothing is showing on the monitor because the boot is too short, can somebody please help me?

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Reopen the case and double check that all cables, cards, RAM modules, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

Make sure that each fan can freely spin.

Look for any unconnected/unused cables that may now be in contact with the case or some other component.

When dusting did you hear or see any electrostatic shocks/sparks?

Ralston18

Titan

Reopen the case and double check that all cables, cards, RAM modules, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

Look for any unconnected/unused cables that may now be in contact with the case or some other component.

Solution
May 18, 2019

Thank you for your help, I finally fixed this issue and all I did was reinstall my ram sticks and I can't figure out why that was the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

As for the "why"....

Over time as computers heat up and cool down the components and connectors tend to expand and contract.

As a result they slowly creep loose and can settle on the threshold of being functional for some amount of time.

Then some touch, bump, movement (or dusting) completes the movement and connectivity is lost. It only takes one misconnection out of many to cause the problem.

And it always seems that, indeed, nothing specific happened or was changed.

Overall, there is a lot to be said for cleaning, dusting, and reseating the components on regular basis but without over doing it all.

Likewise, doing the same is often a good starting point with respect to troubleshooting.

Hi, I recently took my pc out to clean out the dust on my fans. the only thing i touched with my cloth is the inside of my pc cases and my fans. When I turned on my pc it went to a boot loop turning on for three seconds and then turning off. Nothing is showing on the monitor because the boot is too short, can somebody please help me?
If it's an Intel system, the CPU may need to be reseated, because it has shifted slightly and caused a pin to dislodge from it's proper position. Moving a system around or bumping it can loosen parts inside the case as was already said.

Get thermal paste if you don't have some. Remove the heatsink and CPU from the socket. Check for bent or broken pins before placing the CPU back in carefully and then repasting the CPU. Use a sewing needle or a thin needle like object to push any bent pins back into position.